Part 31

In his bedroom, Ciel sat at the game table, staring off into space as he waited for his loyal butler to arrive. He kept thinking about what Trancy had said, about how things changed between a butler and his Master. Things had seemed ever the same from the outside, but at night when he was dressed for bed, Sebastian would strip off his gloves and let his hands occasionally wander. Several times Ciel had stopped him, still fearful of the repercussions of his actions. He knew he hadn't fully crossed the threshold, but dabbling with the idea nonetheless, he tugged primly at his shorts, slipped fingers through his hair to secure it in place in an attempt to appear as innocent as possible before his butler arrived, lest he grow suspicious of his intentions.

When Sebastian entered, Ciel sat up straight, crossing his legs at the knee. With a little bow, Sebastian brought forth the tea cart, pouring Ciel a finger of brandy and presenting it to him.

"What game shall we play this evening, Bocchan?"

"Your choice." Sebastian raised an eyebrow and nodded, pulling the backgammon from its home in the game closet.

"What is it that you are planning on losing tonight?" Ciel's lips parted, a little 'o' of surprise, thinking himself caught. Sebastian chuckled at him, shaking his head. "Your bet, Bocchan."

"Right... perhaps a day undisturbed... to be redeemed at my leisure." Sebastian knitted his brow as he finished setting up the board.

"Fair enough."

"And yours?"

"Perhaps a night undisturbed... to be redeemed at my leisure." Ciel raised an eyebrow then and Sebastian continued. "My other little kitten has been rather lonely as of late." Ciel could barely suppress his rage, his fingers digging into the arms of the chair he sat in as he straightened, eyes boring into Sebastian as he scolded him.

"Other?! What other?!" Sebastian held his hands up before him, quick to respond as he saw Ciel's anger flash in his eyes.

"No... no, Master, you misunderstand. My cat... Kitten." Ciel's eyes widened, cheeks darkening from angry pink to embarrassed red, and he looked down into his glass to hide his shame.

"That cat is still here?" Crossing his arms over his chest, he glared at Sebastian, angry at his own humiliation, embarrassed for his quick jealousy so briefly displayed in all its glory.

"Yes, she comes every night." Sebastian took the liberty of pouring himself a full glass from a different decanter, setting it beside his dice on the table. "She misses me when I'm here with you... I would like to give her an evening." Ciel rolled his eyes, scoffing loudly at the idea.

"Pft. That cat."

"She feels the same way about you, Bocchan. But she is no bother to anyone. Only you and I know she is here." Ciel nodded, eyeing the glass in Sebastian's hand curiously.

"What is that?"

"A well-aged bourbon. Would you care to try?" Ciel nodded and Sebastian retrieved another glass, pouring just a taste of the smooth, dark liquor. A sniff was more than enough, and Ciel curled his lip at the intense aroma, setting the glass back down.

"That's foul..." Sebastian laughed and drank the taste from the Ciel's glass, then returned to his seat for a sip of his own.

"Not so much, once you learn to taste it."

"I can taste it from here, thank you very much." Sebastian laughed heartily and waited for Ciel to make his first move. The game progressed quickly and quietly, Sebastian with a sweeping win, and Ciel with a little sour look on his face.