Part 55

While Ciel slept, Sebastian mulled over their conversation. He had divulged more than he had intended, and while he knew his closely guarded memories were still his and his alone, Ciel had shown too much interest in them. He decided then that he had allowed things to move too quickly; lost himself in the softness and warmth of the inviting body that lay beside him. This was not going to end well for either of them if things carried on this way. He kissed Ciel's lips softly as he slept, and the young Lord stirred a little, cuddling closer to Sebastian, little hands grasping for him in his sleep. The butler smiled, sighing softly, knowing this would be the last time he could take such liberties for quite some time. It was best to distance himself now, keep his hands gloved and to himself, he was getting carried away, and that was never a good sign.

He could feel Ciel wanting more from him, more than he would be able to give, and he refused to let Ciel suffer the way he remembered Beatrice had during their contract. He would not tolerate the pain of guilt that accompanied the pain of his Master's unrequited love, and he had let that go on too long already. He buried his face in Ciel's hair as he slept, lost in the scent of him, his little Master a perfect rose amid a garden in full bloom. He lingered as long as he dared before slipping his arms from around the young Lord, careful not to disturb his rest. Beatrice meowed once from the doorway and Sebastian raised a hand, acknowledging he had heard her. He dared to lean in and kiss Ciel's lips once more, a tender kiss full of longing and regret.

Ciel stirred again and Sebastian pulled away, slowly crawling off the bed and dressing himself. Beatrice approached and rubbed at his ankles until he nodded down at her, whispering.

"Yes... yes I know... I'm going... he just..." She meowed louder and he hushed her. "Shh! Don't wake him, he doesn't sleep well... his entire life is a nightmare." With a sigh and a lingering glance, Sebastian followed Beatrice out of the bedroom, knowing full well it would be the last time he would be there, outside of professional capacity, for quite some time.