Part 64

Ciel sat in the tub, splashing quietly as Sebastian bathed him. He stayed quiet, enjoying the attention and the feel of the water; his skin still sensitive, senses heightened. He closed his eyes, curling his knees up before him and resting his chin on them, smiling contentedly. Sebastian let him revel in it until he heard the young Lord sigh quietly. He flicked a little water towards Ciel's face to get his attention and the bluenette looked at him quickly, annoyed.

"Tell me, little kitten. What has you so quiet?" Ciel rolled his eyes, wiping water droplets from his cheek, lowering his knees back under the water.

"It's nothing..."

"It didn't sound like nothing." Sebastian continued to bathe him, slowly running a cloth over his back as he took his time formulating a response; looking for anything to tell Sebastian that wasn't quite the truth.

"The water. It feels nice." Ciel shrugged and splashed water towards Sebastian playfully. The butler shook his head, chuckling softly as he finished bathing him.

"Stand for me, kitten." Ciel obeyed and allowed himself to be ruffled dry and wrapped in a towel, then lifted effortlessly from the tub and set lightly on his feet. "I won't have you keeping such secrets from me now, tell me what's on your mind."

"Now? I could keep secrets before?" Sebastian laughed and ushered Ciel back to the bedroom to dress him. "It's nothing... just... I don't know how to put it into words. I suppose... this is what happiness is?" Ciel sat nude on the edge of the bed as Sebastian chose a nightshirt and returned to him.

"I would not know." He wrapped the shirt around Ciel's shoulders, kissing him gently. "This is as close as I have ever been to it, and even now, bittersweet." He smiled kindly as Ciel slipped his arms through the sleeves.

"Yes, it is." As Sebastian buttoned the shirt, Ciel took his hands, entwining their fingers. "It feels... nice." Sebastian smiled and raised Ciel's chin, bringing mismatched eyes to meet his own. He sighed softly and kissed Ciel again.

"Yes. It does." Smiling halfheartedly, he sat beside Ciel on the bed and stroked his still damp hair. Ciel looked up at him bashfully and offered a little smile himself.

"It's... a bit frightening, too." The young Lord said as he crawled to his place on the bed. Sebastian raised an eyebrow and followed him, lying on his back, arms behind his head. Ciel lay on his side, head rested on his folded arm, facing his butler.

"I suppose it is, yes."

"It feels like... at any moment something could go horribly wrong... but at the same time... everything feels... I don't know. Nice? Like... maybe it isn't real, or... " a little frustrated as his lack of eloquence, the young Lord shook his head. "I don't know how to translate it into words." Sebastian made a quiet sound and turned to face Ciel, tracing his fingers up the bluenette's side.

"That's called anxiety. Every human has that." Ciel nodded, lip caught between his teeth, still a bit unsure.

"But... everything is okay, right?" Smiling in spite of himself, Sebastian nodded, charmed by the sweetness of the question, his little Master's need for reassurance.

"Yes, my Lord. Everything is okay." Nodding once again Ciel thought for a moment.

"Do you feel it too? Anxiety?"

"No. No, my worries come from a more... technical matters. But that is not for you to worry over." He ran his fingers lightly up Ciel's side, following the curves of his hip and ribs. The bluenette giggled quietly and withdrew a bit, trying to escape the far too gentle touch.