𝐈𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐭||𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐇𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐥𝐞𝐲

"And you're positive I have to wear a dress?" I ask my mom as she examines my outfit.

"Y/N, they're our new neighbours. We have to make a good impression." She says, fixing my hair.

"You're making a big deal out of this. I go to school with two of their sons. They're... something. You're worried about impressing them?"

She huffs. "There. Don't you look beautiful?" She asks as we both stare into the vanity mirror. I give her a small and unamused shrug. "I want you to be on your best behaviour, please."

"Yes, ma'am." I grump.

"Lose the attitude, missy. This is a big deal to me." She says. "Please, Y/N, at least try."

"Okay, okay." I give a slight smile. Fake, but it was a smile of some variant. "I promise, I'll try."

She pats my back. "Be downstairs as soon as possible, please." She says. The doorbell rings. "That's them. Be quick, please."

I nod. I don't know why she was making a big deal out of this. They're neighbours. And I am gonna try my hardest to avoid them.

I head downstairs and see the Heffley crew. My mom hugs Susan and Frank, then shakes the boys' hands.

They were all dressed up, and I see the eldest brother standing there looking quite handsome.

"There she is! This is my daughter, Y/N. Y/N, this is the Heffleys."

They introduce themselves. I get to the boy I was admiring not even two minutes prior. We shake hands.

"I'm Rodrick."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Rodrick."

We sit down at the table for dinner.

"So, how where'd you move here from?" Susan asks, sparking up a conversation.

"We moved from y/h/t. (your hometown). It's really a beautiful place." My mom says.

"Have you been to school here yet?" Susan asks me.

"Yes, I have. Very... interesting. The gym teacher is kinda weird."

Rodrick laughs. "I definitely agree." He says.

"Rodrick, don't you and Y/N have a couple classes together?" Greg asks, smirking at his big brother.

"Zip it." He murmurs.

"Y/N, you should come over and listen to his band." He says.

"Uhm, no, she should not." Rodrick says, turning red.

I smile. "You have a band?"

"Yeah, it's just a little... hobby." He says, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, I'd like to hear you play sometime. If that's alright with you, of course."

There goes that "avoiding them in the future" plan.

"Of course."

-------------------------

"Y/N, why don't you and Rodrick get to know each other better? Show him your room and stuff."

"But, Mom, my room is a mess." I say.

Frank laughs. "Kiddo, I guarantee you, his is worse."

I crack a smile and I head upstairs, Rodrick following close behind.

I open my door and pick up the clothes that are on the floor.

"Nice room." He says.

"Oh, thanks."

"You like My Chemical Romance?" He asks, looking at all of the different posters on the wall. (If you don't, just change it to something different)

"Yup!"

"Fall Out Boy, Plain White Tees, Twenty One Pilots." He smiles. "Nice taste." He licks his lips and my mind wanders.

"Uh, excuse me?"

He points to the posters. "Music."

"Oh, thank you." I say. "Stay here. I'm gonna head to the bathroom and change out of this dress."

He nods. "Go right ahead."

I quickly change into a baggy shirt and some sweatpants.

I sit down on the bed across from Rodrick.

"So what brings you to Plainview, of all places? I mean, 'plain' is in the title." Rodrick jokes.

I laugh. "Well, my father and mother are divorced. My dad married the bitch he was cheating on my mother with. So, she has four kids of her own - all from a different man - and he wanted to start a new family. So, he's back in (y/h/t) with that lady and her kids. I go visit them next month." I say and he looks at me like I have two heads. "Sorry, I was rambling." I laugh.

"Don't be sorry. I'm sorry for asking."

I shake my head. "Don't worry about it. I don't care that much anymore." I say. I change the subject. "So, maybe I could come over and hear you play?"

He smiles. "Yes, our band needs some feedback that isn't just Greg." I giggle. "I saw you at school the other day. Sorry I didn't come up to you."

I shrug. "No biggy. I didn't come up to you either."

"I think my mom is trying to set us up." He says sheepishly.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she said 'you should ask her out.' At first, I was opposed to the idea since I didn't know you. Now, I know you."

"Yeah, you know me. I thought that would be a turn-off?"

He chuckles. "It is definitely not. So, for the first time ever - and I emphasize that - ever... that I take my mom's advice. So, would you like to accompany me to the movies tomorrow night?" He asks.

I was surprised at the invitation, but more surprised he knew what the word emphasize and accompany meant.

I was also pretty damned surprised when I heard the words "I'd love to" slip out of my mouth.

"Awesome! I thought we could go see the new Halloween movie. Unless you don't like horror movies."

"Are you kidding? Horror movies are my all time favourite."

He smiles. "I think that we will get along just fine. We have a lot in common." He says. "But not being an idiot. That's my specialty."

Word count- 936

We love Rodrick.

Thanks for 14k reads!!! Can't believe we made it this far! Thinking about a face reveal/q and a thing at 15k or 16k idk.

XoXo,
RK