𝐒𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐠𝐞||𝐉𝐨𝐡𝐧 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫

December 10th

Warning: Mention of abuse. It's a sensitive topic, so I understand if you skip.

"Y/N? Why did we have to put up a tree?" John asks. I smile.

"Because, that's just what you do during Christmas." I say.

"It's too... bright." He says.

I roll my eyes. "You should be more festive. Wear more Christmasy things and be more festive." I say to my boyfriend who is never in the Christmas spirit. He makes fake wretching sounds.

"For the love of all that is good, please get into the fucking spirit already, and quit being a scrooge?" I ask as I finish putting up our stockings.

He sighs. "Look, I know you love Christmas, but I hate the holidays." John says. I kiss him.

"Why, babe?" I ask.

"I don't wanna talk about it." He mumbles.

I sit him down on the couch. "You can tell me anything, you know?" I ask.

"Fine." He whispers.

"What is it, babe?" I ask quietly.

"You know how my dad used to... you know... beat me and stuff?" He asks. I nod. He continues. "My last Christmas with my family was the worst. Christmas and my family never meshed well together."

"Go on." I whisper.

"My old man... He fucking... He fucking got me a carton of cigarettes. And... He grabbed me by the collar and said 'Aye, smoke up, Johnny!'. It wasn't even full. Then I said 'thanks' or some shit like that." He says.

"And... Next thing I know... I'm lying on the ground and he's beating the shit out of me. It was worse than usual. I don't know what the fuck I did. Maybe talked back or something, but... I don't know." He says, letting a few tears slipping out.

"Shh. Baby, it's ok." I say, bringing him into a hug.

"I just don't want more bad Christmases. I just want to have good Christmases with you. I just don't know how." He admits.

"I know, John. I promise, I'm gonna give you the best Christmas ever." I say.

He kisses me. "I'll give it a try. Uh... What do we do now?" He asks. I smile and grab a Santa hat off of the coffee table and put it on his head.

"You look so cute!" I say as he just chuckles and shakes his head.

"This'll take some getting used to." He says.

Word count- 385

We hit 315 reads!? What!? Thank you guys. I really appreciate it, a lot. It really helps small writers like me. Hell, I can't even call myself a writer lol. Thanks again.

XoXo,
RK