Chapter 32

End of Season One

M A R C U S

It was almost Christmas, but our house looked so dull and boring. I understood very well as to why my parents didn't want to decorate; my younger sister, Maxine, died on Christmas Eve. She'd be 21 by now if she was still alive...

My mom hasn't eaten yet, so I decided to bring the food to their room. I found her sitting on the bed, crying. At this point, I should give her some space; but I couldn't take it anymore.

I put the tray on the small wooden table—just across the bed—and leaned my back on the wall. I crossed my arms and sighed when she cried harder.

"Mom..." I called her softly, but she just wouldn't look at me. "Are you still not going to eat? Want me to feed you?"

Wiping her tears, she glared at me. My face lightened up as I finally got her attention. Putting my hands inside my pockets, I walked toward the bed and sat beside her. I glanced at the picture frame on her hands; it was the photo taken on her third trimester. It was... Maxine's last known photo with her.

It pained me so much, too. Mahal na mahal ko ang kapatid ko—kahit hindi ko madalas sabihin o ipakita sa kanila. But I had to be strong for our parents, so I chose to suffer silently. And in order to mend the pain, I'd look at the sky as I knew that Maxine was watching us up there.

"Today's her birthday, too. The cake's in the fridge. We shall cut it together. I'll wait for you and Dad downstairs..." I kissed her on her forehead before I left.

Bago bumaba, sumilip ako sa library at nakitang tulala roon si Daddy. It seemed like I would slice the cake alone this year. Will I be able to enjoy it? Of course not.

Tinawagan ako ng mga kamag-anak namin sa Pilipinas habang kumakain ako mag-isa sa dining room. Sayang lang at hindi sila nakapag-book ng flight patungo rito sa Germany sapagkat masyadong naging abala sa kanilang negosyo.

I smiled automatically when I saw my cousin, Harmony, on the screen. "Hi, Kuya! 12 a.m. na diyan, right? Merry Christmas! Nasa'n gift ko?"

"Merry Christmas, Harise! Want some cake?" isinubo ko 'yung cake para inggitin siya.

She frowned at me. Ang arte talaga. She looked so cute, though. "May cake din naman kami kaya sa 'yo na 'yan. Where are you? Are you staying at your villa in München?"

"Yes, we're here. And about your gift, sa January ko pa maibibigay. I have some business to do in Frankfurt before my flight to the Philippines," I said and waved my hand when Enzo peeked at the screen.

"Okay! No worries, Kuya! We just missed you!" Hinablot niya 'yung t-shirt ng nakababatang kapatid niya. "Enzo, come here! Talk to Kuya Marc! Hindi mo pa siya binabati ng 'Merry Christmas'! Baka iwan niya sa airport 'yung gift mo! Sige ka!"

I chuckled 'cause Enzo was too shy to even say 'Hi'. In the end, I just ended up talking to their eldest sibling, Symphony. Sa totoo lang, nabawasan ang lungkot ko nang dahil sa kakulitan ng mga pinsan ko. They were so happy to celebrate Christmas with their whole family. Gano'n din sana kami ngayon kung kumpleto kami.

"I'll call your mom later. For now, maki-celebrate ka na lang muna sa 'min. Just imagine that you're here!" Aunt Melody tried to cheer me up.