Chapter 56

This chapter is dedicated to: zaraleetunan and cutiefycath

How people's lives would turn upside down in a wink was really unpredictable. I was back on duty. Everything was going smoothly for Marcus' family; his sister got engaged and those who have wronged them got what they deserved. But I met Harmony again when she was falsely accused of a crime on the night I was supposed to meet the Schmidts.

Patapos na ako sa trabaho nang nabalitaan ko mula sa mga kabaro na rumesponde ýung mga kasamahan namin sa aksidente sa isang bahay sa Dasmariñas Village. Our patrolmen were near the area when it happened, and they were on the way back to the precicnt with the person responsible for the crime.

"Matindi ang isang 'to! Itinulak daw ýung matanda sa hagdan, eh. Along with the witness, the victim's family is on the way to file a case," anang station commander.

Nagsalita ýung kapalitan ko sa Women and Children Protection Desk. "Taga-Forbes park lang daw po ýung itinuturo nilang suspek, Sir."

"Mga mayayaman nga naman..." napailing si PLTCOL Vicente Fajardo.

Bumalik ako sa desk ko at nagbasa ng ilang files kaugnay sa kaso ni Glen Romualdez. Hawak ito ng CIDG at mula nang naibalik ang walang hiya sa kulungan ay mas dumami pa ang mga ebidensyang nakalap ng kapulisan na mas lalong magdidiin sa kanya. I enjoyed flipping the pages as my knowledge about the case has deepened tremendously. It was just that moment where I had to stop 'cause someone raised a ruckus in the hallway. I cleared my desk and grabbed my bag, ready to leave.

"I'm getting my friend out of here! She was falsely accused! She would never harm the old lady! She's fucking innocent!" nakilala ko ang boses ni Hailey kahit sumisigaw na siya.

"We just need to get her statement, Maám. Pero bago ýon, hihintayin muna natin ang representative ng pamilya ng biktima," anang isang officer.

"Statement my ass! Eh, bakit kinabitan nýo ng posas? It's not like you caught her in the act!" that was my cousin, Jeremiah.

I dropped my things and went out of the room quickly. Sa sobrang panic ko ay nabangga ko pa ýung supervisor ko na ágad namang nag-react sa ka-clumsy-han ko.

'Why are you running, Arnuevo? Hindi ba't tapos na ang duty mo?"

"I know them, Maám. One of them is my cousin," itinuro ko ang mga taong nagkakagulo sa hallway.

"You can talk to them, but stay out of it," she said firmly.

Nakaramdam ako ng awa nang nakita ang duguang paa ni Harmony. She was sitting there, but she looked dead inside. Her tears had dried out and it seemed like she just wanted to disappear. Panay ang mura nina Rajon at Maru na parehong may tinatawagan sa kani-kanilang cellphone. Si Hailey at ang isa pa nilang kasamang babae ay umiiyak sa tabi ni Harmony.

What did the hell happen? Si Harmony ba ýung tinutukoy na tumulak sa matanda? But it was absurd! It was absolutely impossible that she would harm anyone.

Napatingin sa gawi ko si Jeremiah. Without saying anything to his friends, he went to me and dragged me somewhere quiet. But I wanted to talk to him in a private place, so I brought him into the office of the Women and Children Protection Desk.

Sinuntok niya ýung ibabaw ng desk at iritableng sinuklay ang buhok. "That fucking bastard! He just left her! Sean didn't defend his girl! What fucking kind of love is that?!"

Binigyan ko ng tubig si Jeremiah, ngunit hindi niya pinansin ýon. I sighed and sat on my chair. My cousin looked at me and shook his head in dismay.

"We were all there. I've seen how badly they treated Harmony. She didn't push his grandmother! Man, if I were Sean I'd protect my girl in any way I could. But that asshole couldn't leave his evil mom and just believed that stupid witness' lies. Paano niya nagawa 'yon kay Harmony?"