Field Mission

Hello, my lovelies! I'm here with another chapter for all you lovely people. I'm trying my best to not wait too long between updates. But, as you know, life can be a real bitch sometimes. Anyway, I love all the speculation surrounding Lacey's identity. I'm glad that you guys like the twist. 

However, in the next two chapters, I've got a twist that none of you will be expecting. Why don't you make a guess what it is? If you're right, you'll get a sneak peek in your private message, with deets on the next two chapters. 

Anyway, back to reading. I love you guys. In the next chapter, I will tell you about the giveaway and what you have to do to win. 

*************

Lacey's P.O.V

Richard's eyes were piercing. He hadn't stopped looking at me since I arrived back at the office.

When I walked in, Olly met me on the ground floor. I asked him if he knew what was going on and who we were raiding. He shook his head. He knew just as much as I did. Whoever it was, they were keeping it a secret.

As I got to the third floor, the place was buzzing. People were on phones calling and making arrangements. A few analysts were on their computers, double and triple-checking the information they had, making sure that it was accurate. 

"Lacey, you're late. I need you suited up and ready. You said you wanted more field time, well, here you go."

Henry was my direct superior. I've been telling him for years that I wanted to be more in the field. I was given the same training as regular field agents, but I was never out as much as them. I worked mainly in the office, behind a desk. My only field positions were, doing follow up questions and very small crimes that fell under FBI jurisdiction.

Every time an opportunity would come up for me to work in serious cases outside the office, Richard would step in and stop it. I've been trying for years to get Henry to send me out in the field more, but he would always make excuses.

I had started to give up and just be satisfied with what little time I got doing fieldwork. However, a few months back, Hayley attended a meeting with the higher-ups, and my name happened to be one of the subjects of the conversation.

Apparently, the board was really impressed with the work I did on a case that I assisted on, and they thought that it would be a good idea if I were included more in field operations.

I had expected to be placed with a team very soon, but months went by, and I hadn't heard anything. I was disappointed. I thought that Richard had eventually convinced them that it wasn't a good idea. So, hearing that I was finally going to be on a field team, was exciting. However, I wasn't too keen on going in blind.

"Who is our target?"

Henry brushed me off. "It's not the who, sweetheart. It's the how."

I was confused, and from the look on Olly's face, so was he. I angled my head at Olly, in a gesture asking if he knew what Henry was talking about. Olly shrugged his shoulders, gesturing back, "not a clue."

"Okay, what is the how?"

Henry smacked his hand together, hard. The sound was so loud, that everyone stopped what they were doing and turned our way. When they noticed that it was just Henry being Henry, they turned back to their work.

"That's the question that everyone should be asking."

That was it. He offered no more explanation. I looked at him in confusion, trying my best to decipher his brain. He walked off, leaving me there as if he gave a detailed explanation to my question.