𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒌 #16

"look, sir I already told you, I was home

"look, sir I already told you, I was home." I explained to the officer for what felt like the hundredth time.

"And Jayceon Carter?" He asked, again.

It felt like we were in an endless time loop.

"He worked a late shift at his job, footlocker, can I go home now!?" I asked, slowly growing more irritated by the second.

Rather than respond, he opened the manila folder that was on the cold steel table below us.

He grabbed a picture and slid it over to me.

"Do you know this man?" He questioned.

Devon.

shit shit shit shit.

"Can I ask why this is even important?" I asked.

"Because we suspect that your partner aided in a murder that he committed." He explained.

I tried to keep my poker face but my heart dropped to my asshole.

The first thing I thought about was that money I'd found in Jayces clothes.

I knew his brother didn't send him that shit, he lied to my face and whatever this is—he probably had something to do with it.

"I've seen him around.." I shrugged.

"Around as in with your partner?" The officer questioned.

"Around as in I've seen him around." I blinked.

Officers always try to twist your words to fit their narrative.

He gave me an aggravated look before grabbing the picture and returning it to the folder before standing up and exiting the interrogation room.

Once I was alone I released a nervous breath I'd been holding.

I new I was still being watched from behind the window so I tried not to show too much emotion but it was hard.

I was so mad at Jayceon for so much different shit.

On the same hand, I was scared, I couldn't lose him—he couldn't go to jail, he just couldn't.