Short Stories by _whitellblack_

FORGET ME NOT

FORGET ME NOT

Jasper's POV

I was looking from afar, heart squeezed, and eyes solely focused on one person.

Maia. She was wearing a floral dress, seated at one of the benches alone, not far. I had been stalking her since Saturday. Thinking of ways to know her better than being a creep about it, but even the simplest thing like talking, I couldn't do.

Wrong... I knew that, but I couldn't help it. I was drawn to her.

A bartender passed in sight and my eyes flicked over the book pretending not to get caught spying too eagerly on a woman I had been crushing for days. Just days but it seemed I known her for years. I raised my book towards my peripheral view but slightly covering my eyes so that I could for the love of god still see her despite the debate going on with myself.

A soccer ball thumped on my table. Before me was a boy smeared with Jasper's strawberry cake. Icing filled his face, hands catching his precious ball within arms stretched- Her innocent eyes blinked up to mine while I was at a loss for what to say. The next thing I know, a gorgeous blonde with deep-seated eyes towered, her dress danced with the wind and her hair sashayed with bountiful light thick strand.

"Zack, you've been playing ball that's enough darlin'- hi there!" Her symphonic voice chaste my ringing ears. Her gem of sky-blue eyes suited well how her perky plum red lips. She took hold of her son's hand and wiped the crease off his face with the tissue. She gazed at me with hint of sunshine and the smell of her lilac perfume overflowed my nostrils.

Flustered, the book I was holding slipped from my grip. My palms started to sweat about what to say. What to say? What to say? "I- augh"

Maia watched my dumb reaction and her mouth stretched wide. The growing familiarity in her eyes made me gulped in nervousness. She began to speak, "Have we met before?"

My mouth parted but no syllable seemed to fill the silence. I was at the mercy of being speechless.

Maia's POV

I knew this man. He was at the aisle 4, buying groceries until we bumped at one another with our carts. Something about the scenario was coincidental but it was not. He was here for something, to relay a message to me.

When I finally deciphered that he was not explaining his unexpected visit, I thought otherwise.

I bended down and took the falling book. What slipped out was a flower symbolizing true love memories. It was placed inside a mini-plastic bag. How familiar. I saw this before, but I just couldn't tell when and where.

"Where did you get this?" I knew this flower was rare, so rare that only on the west country can be found. They were on the south. It took several routes just to pick this certain flower. I had held this before, but I lost it. How could he have found it?

Jasper's POV

"You can have it. It is yours." It always has been. I felt it was no longer a deal to express my confession. I thought I could have but my secret was out. It was not my place to feel about this, about her. For a minute, everything seemed to pour me in a cold bucket of water. I needed to get away from here. The flower spoke it all. I stood up, retrieved my jacket, and started to walk away. But a hand thumbed my suit. I stopped walking, let out a breath, closing my eyes at the same time.

"No, tell me where you found this?" Maia's eyes furrowed. She was torn between screaming and pleading. This flower was not just a flower. It was given to her. Before. "Tell me, please. Where can I find him?"

"We do not disclose that information, Maia." My heart was crushed when it spoke about "him".

He was not supposed to be mentioned. His efforts were to be respected. So, I assumed Maia got the gist that I was telling her nothing about the incident or the aftermath.

Maia blinked, raising the flower. "You mean, you just came here for this?"

"I have nothing to say to you." I shook my head in irritation. I didn't know she could be this slow.

"Hey, wait!" Maia caught up.

"I got other things to do." I looked down at my watch and reached for my cellphone for the next mission. But before I could type a call number, it was snatched by Maia, her other hand was still holding tightly over the flower.

I sighed, "What now?"

"Tell me about him. About this! What does this all mean? Why do you guys been keeping his death a secret?" There was tears in her eyes as she uttered those words. Couldn't be able to comprehend how this was all happening, Maia hiccupped. I almost felt sorry for her.

I heaved a breath, looked sideways before speaking. I couldn't speak half of a secret but spilling the other half wouldn't hurt, right? I meant: she deserved to know since he was his wife after all.

"I'm going to tell you this and only this. He asked me to have you this on your birthday." Maia eyes widened.

"He is here?"

" Papa!" Their son, Mathew lost his hold of his mom and ran back to where the benches were.

I rolled my eyes as Maia turned around, tracking the footsteps of her son when she saw the love of her life, I can tell the joy of her hasty running. Bringing a bouquet of her favorite lilacs, beaming brightly, Lexus was well-kept, and clean-cut. He wore her oh so favorite slacks.

She ran towards Lexus, my best friend. The flower fell on the ground. It wasn't Lexus who picked the flower, it was I. The poor guy was allergic to them though.

I watched as my heart crushed gazing at Maia and Lexus embracing in each other's arms.

" I was suppose to tell you that I love you. I met you just last Saturday but I wish we could have met sooner. Hell, sooner than you and your husband ever did but would be harsh of me, right? We met first you know at the same place we first bump into each other. Or was it just me who saw you first? Then, I met Lexus. He told me about you for years. Years... we've been together. You are perfect. Just the way you are. So perfect, you fit each other well. And I couldn't surpass that, could I? " I recited my confession perfectly to a ghost. There is the confessor but no- the confessed. She already find someone better.

I stared blankly at the flower on the ground. I released a sad laugh as I turned my back and started to leave the place.

Yet, a hand stopped my tracks, I turned my heels around yet again irritated, "What now, Maia?"

However, it wasn't Maia, it was a brunette with soft cupid's brow. Her eyes in confusion, her hands holding the flower. She began to speak but I decided to beat her to it.

"You can have it for all I care." I exhaustingly confined, too tired to explain my side to a stranger.

We planned this whole thing to surprise Maia, but it turned out I was the surprised one.

The brunette girl I never knew the name of titled her head, she looked behind her probably to the girl I had been stealing a glance. She whipped her head back to me, gave me a smile and laugh. "This is a pretty flower. Can I have it?"

All these years I might have been falling for the wrong one to meet the right one.