Off to La Paloma ni maiantheia

Off to La Paloma ni maiantheia, winner ng Golden Ticket of Love ng WattpadRomancePH.

"Why are you packing your things? Are you going to leave us?! Don't you remember what I did to this family? What I sacrificed to give you a good life?!" My mother continues to throw flimsy punches at me while I zip up my duffel bag

"Ma, I told you she's going to leave us as soon as she gets to have her own job. Selfish bitch." My brother, who was lounging on the couch, scoffs and shakes his head.

"Shut up!" I yell at him.

"You really have no respect. I never taught you to talk back and scream at your brother!" My mother forces me to face her and before I know it, my cheeks start to sting. She just slapped me three times. "Fine. If you want to leave, then leave!" She starts to open my drawers, pick up my clothes, and throw them at me. "If I ever see your face here again, I'll kill you myself!"

I look at my mom who's fuming in front of me. This is the second time this month. They just saw me pack my things, but they quickly jumped to the conclusion that I'm leaving because I am packing some of my things. They didn't even bother to know the truth.

On the other hand, when I get angry about my older brother being an unemployed mobile game addict, I'm the bad guy. I'm the one who has no respect for elders. That I should just continue working and working as a call center agent, like all my graveyard shifts are still not enough. I don't even have time to take care of myself and go on dates. Who would want to date someone who looks like a zombie, anyway? That's why I stopped complaining. I'm done.

I quietly pick up my clothes and stuff them inside another bag. I want to cry, but I can't. I'm numb with all the same words I heard from my own mother's mouth a thousand times before. I don't even look back at the house as I hail a taxi, but I can still hear the shrill voice of my mother.

"Time will come when your pride will be the death of you. You're still gonna die, don't forget that you piece of shit! Don't ever come back here!"

As the taxi continues on its way to the airport, I try to replay the day-old memories from the office to calm myself. I should be looking forward to my vacation.

"Here. It's supposed to be the grand prize for the company's anniversary last month, but we decided to give it to you. Think of it as a form of us showing our appreciation for our most dedicated employee," my boss said, flashing me his perfect smile.

I thought it was money at first, so I didn't take it. However, he insisted and asked me to open it after my shift. Turns out it wasn't money, but a plane ticket to the Visayas. There was also a letter in the envelope, saying that there's already a room reserved for me in the only island resort there: La Paloma.

I look outside the plane to get a view of the low, scattered clouds and the great blue waters below. Don't think of anything, Twyla, I tell myself. Enjoy your vacation, you've earned it. I continue to distract myself with the view outside even if tears start to cascade down my cheeks.