Impromptu Falling by XtineVelax

Impromptu Falling ni XtineVelax, winner of RomancePH's Remembering November Love contest.

It began like a scene in a movie.

I was across the hall, sitting at a different table with my classmates. And, yet, my eyes were on him. So when our gazes met, I flinched and quickly turned away. Embarrassed for getting caught staring.

Not long, a hand came to view. I looked up and found him standing beside me. While he just gave us girls a soft smile.

"Want to dance?" he asked no one in particular.

"Who're you asking?" one of my classmates asked back.

"Anyone. You don't want to?" he said.

But his hand was nearest to me. For a heartbeat, I was afraid. He could leave with anyone from that table. Not that I mind.

No. I do.

It was a now or never chance. No one can tell if he'd even ask anyone again for a dance. Or if I even get asked by anyone. Again, I didn't mind. However, it was him that was asking.

How can I not take advantage of this opportunity, huh?

Forcing my courage out, I placed my hand on his open palm and returned his sweet smile.

"Sure."

I dared not to look back at the table. I did not want to know how my classmates reacted to what I did. I focused my brain on the warmth of our hands holding. The way he clasped mine with a comfortable firmness in his. And how he had effortlessly managed to intertwine our fingers without me knowing.

It didn't last long though. Too short. In fact, just ten steps away, we were already on the dance floor. The slow music was playing in the background and he finally faced me. To dance. For a moment, I forgot that part. This was a promenade. Of course we had to dance.

"Thanks," he simply said, getting into a relaxed position, "for accepting."

"Thank you too." I let my hands rest leisurely on his shoulders. "I... wanted to dance."

A brief exchange of knowing glances and we kind of fell into a trance with a weirdly awkward swaying, ignoring everything as the speakers continued to change songs.

***

I was too conscious of how sluggardly we moved along the music. But then again, we were doing a slow dance. Ergo, we were rightfully dancing slowly.

I guess this is how it's supposed to be.

I pursed my lips. Afraid he'd hear my racing heartbeat over the gentle song.

Who even gets a heart rate this fast at this pace?

So I took a deep breath to calm myself and tried adjusting my hands. However, he pulled me closer, making my arms creep around his neck as I steady myself.