Chapter 4

In the third dimension, in a minute universe, in a tiny spiral galaxy, which contained a tiny solar system, in which a beautiful blue planet orbited a relatively small star, the full moon was rising over a small village that would later be known as Mystic Falls, Virginia. The bright, white sphere in the sky illuminated the shadowy grass lands below.

The occasional hooting of an owl and the howling of a fox can be heard in the distance. The wind was gentle, the air was sweet, and skies were only mildly cloudy. In the middle of a vast, overgrown field, The Quintessence--a High Council of Gods composed of some of the most powerful divine beings throughout the universe; they were here to discuss matters that will concern the entire Multiverse.

Consisting of Hera, the Queen of Olympus, SHAZAM, the wizard Guardian of the Rock of Eternity, Ganthet, founder and leader of the Green Lantern Corps, Spectre, the Divine Wrath of God, and Highfather, the Ruler of New Genesis, The Quintessence were amongst the mightiest beings in the Universe, tasked with the preservation of peace.

"Divine Spectre," said Hera, her soprano voice soft but firm as she addressed the spirit of vengeance, "you must understand the scope of what we're dealing with and weigh the gains against the losses; the Higher are primal forces--Hypergods, if you will--and they have been known to lay waste to entire dimensions at a whim. A war with them is not something we will emerge from unscathed!"

"I understand the risks, Queen Hera," replied the Spectre--a muscular, pale man who donned a bright green cloak over his face and body, "but we have to stop that experiment. I have told you this already and I'm telling it again; if Sam succeeds in reaching the highest plane of existence, there will be disastrous consequences."

"And what are those 'consequences' exactly?" asked Ganthlet, a blue-skinned impish being with his long white hair in a ponytail behind his head, "you still have yet to tell us

"And what are those 'consequences' exactly?" asked Ganthlet, a blue-skinned impish being with his long white hair in a ponytail behind his head, "you still have yet to tell us."

"I do not know the details, only that it exists." said the Spectre, "The Presence is not keen on detailed explanations. Now prepare yourselves; here they come..."

Suddenly, a beam of light shone down upon them from above, lighting up the spot just meters before them. The Quintessence all turned to look up at the light. "Last chance..." muttered Hera, "because they're here..."

"No, we will fight." said Highfather, "we are guardians of this Universe...and it is our job to defend it from whatever 'consequences' there may be." He brandished his long, hooked staff defensively as the Quintessence tensed up in preparation for the fight that is to come...

" He brandished his long, hooked staff defensively as the Quintessence tensed up in preparation for the fight that is to come