Chapter 26

The realm of dark matter, also known as the Dark Multiverse, was a dark reflection of the multiverse where he came from. Lying deep beneath their homeland, this was a realm which his people knew almost nothing about.

In fact, all he knew was that it was monitored by a certain entity known as the World Forger, a being who worked day and night, hammering universes into existence from the dreams dreamt up by the residents of its materialistic doppelganger. And even that was just a rumor which, supposedly, started with a tale the Sandman told the local drunk hobo.

As he drew near, the image got clearer...despite its name, the Dark Multiverse was not absolutely pitch black; stars still formed, planets still orbited them, and life still existed as it should. This multiverse, from the bird's eye view of a 5th dimensional being, was far grander than anything he has ever seen before...like a sea without end...a spark that expands forever.

Yet, the infinite sea was constantly getting smaller; worlds of the Dark Multiverse, like dreams, were fragile and constantly deteriorating, inevitably doomed to destruction by their own malformed construction...a reality of immaterial. The few that were stable enough ascended up into the Orrery of Worlds and the rest fell back into the forge to be recast.

A steady stream of fresh worlds would rise from the World Forge and replace those who have fallen, or those who have passed on to the orrery. Today was no different...

Beneath the massive array of potential universes forged from dark matter, he saw that there was land...not the surface of a planet or the reality of a universe; just a singular, vast span of flat, rocky land...the World Forge, he assumes, the heart of the dark multiverse. The countless universes formed the shape of a ring, he noticed as he flew through the realm, and they all seemed to orbit around an epicenter...his gut told him that center was where he needed to be.

He flew into the epicenter, blazing past trillions upon trillions of dark matter universes in search for that epicenter. Physics could not quantify how fast he was going at this point; entire universes sped by him like cows in the car window.

Within seconds, he was at the center; there, a mountain stood before him, or more accurately, the inactive vent of a super massive volcano. He didn't have an exact measurement for it, but relative to his own height, the mount was at least 15,000 meters in height. It's center burned hot, and a steady stream of embers floated from its mouth.

The World Forge was a flaming hot volcano filled with scorching magma, monitored by a dark blue giant who worked day and night, bringing universes to life through the striking of his hammer. Every ember that arose was a potential spark that could lead to a new universe.

The ring of dark matter universes orbited the peak of the mountain. Sam drew closer. Along the rocky plane and down the side of the mountain were massive streaks of cooled obsidian. Ever so often, an unstable universe would annihilate itself, and fall to the ground in broken fragments.

Inside the crater of the live volcano, there floated a small island, no larger than a hundred meters in width, floated in the vacuum of space, surrounded by a ring of space dust and ice crystals. On the face of the island, sat a seemingly simple, tall warehouse with a short, but wide chimney mounted on the roof.

"So this is the forge itself." Sam thought to himself as he approached the building, "I don't believe it..." The row of open windows glowed with a warm yellow light, and the silvery-gray metallic material that made up the building was completely spotless and perfectly polished.

As Sam flew near, the details began to clear up...the rings that orbited the island were no ordinary ice crystals or space rocks either; they too were universes; potential new universes for the orrery of worlds, forged into existence by The World Forger. The silvery-gray metal that made up the walls were no ordinary metals either; it was pure, undiluted Dark Metal--Element X, the purest form of creation itself.