Chapter 2

From my realm, I watched the men drag Monitor Dax Novu into their ship before taking off again...

Dax Novu opened his eyes slowly. His entire body ached, his head was spinning, and there seemed to be some kind of bandage around his injured hand. However, the crippling pain was gone. He slowly sat up, his eyes carefully scanning the room around him; he was in some kind of a medical facility, very clean, and brightly lit with fluorescent lights.

A tall, muscular man with long wavy brown hair sat in a steel chair next to the operating table on which he lay. He couldn't quite make out his face and features for he wore a surgical mask but he could see, the man had a pair of brown eyes that looked at him non-hostilely. "Who are you? Where the hell is this?"

"Doctor Sam Winchester of the 5th Dimension." the man replied calmly, "my men found you writhing on ground near a town that would later go on to be known as Mystic Falls. We rescued you, took you into our ship." He pointed to the bandage on Dax Novu's hand. "Do you mind if I take a look?"

"No." He held out his bandaged hand. Sam Winchester gently pulled loose the bobby pin holding the gauze in place and carefully unraveled it. "Your body heals at an incredible rate. We had to reopen the incision every few minutes during the surgery, we extracted the infection from your hand. See?"

Dax Novu examined his hand; the half moon shaped bite marks on his hand were nowhere to be seen--not even a scar remained. "What attacked me?"

"I was hoping he'd be able to give me this piece of information," Sam replied, "truth be told, I have absolutely no clue. However, I have kept a small sample of the infectious venom the attack left in your veins." He carefully extracted a small vial of swirling dark smoke from his jacket pocket and handed it to him. "It seems to attack the mind and soul rather than the physical body, though it requires bodily contact in order for the infection to take hold. I got it out of you before any permanent damage was done."

Dax Novu nodded. "Thanks."

"So..." Sam continued, "I've told you some facts about me...let's hear a bit about you; what's your name? What is your purpose in that world? What are you?"

"My name is Monitor Dax Novu." Dax Novu replied, "I--" He stuttered for a brief moment as Sam seemed to immediately tense up, his eyes filling up with fear and a small tinge of hatred. "--I was sent by the Monitor-Mind into Creation to explore and map out its intricate workings. That is my function, Doctor Winchester."

"Please, just Sam is fine." replied Sam, "and I suppose there is some degree of connection between you and Overmonitor Mar Novu?"

He frowned. "Who?"

Immediately, Sam breathed a sigh of relief. "Good...good...I--no, it's nothing." He quickly corrected, "it's just that...I had way too many bad experiences with beings with the title 'Monitor' before. Forgive me if my prejudice takes hold. I will try not to let my past bleed into my opinion on you."

"There are others like me?" Dax Novu gasped, "who are they? Where are they? What are they like?"

"The Monitors are like...gods. Arrogant, stern, and unforgiving. Tasked by a higher power to watch over aspects of reality," said Sam, "there may be more of you out there though I've only encountered two. Mar Novu the Overmonitor monitors the positive matter multiverse while Mobius the Anti Monitor guards the Antimatter Wall that separates us from the mysteries that lie beyond."

Just then, the ship changed directions. "Where are we headed?"

"The 5th Dimension," Sam replied, "to my home." He clicked a button on the wall, causing a steel shutter to open, revealing a massive window giving them a view into the vast emptiness of space. A large planet covered from top to bottom with a technological paradise loomed before them. "That's all my house." Sam grinned proudly, "I planned, designed, and built it myself."