Chapter 43

In the 5th Dimension, Eve looked down at the many buckets of creepy, crawling, giant insects that all looked very different from one another, and from their parents. Sam had ordered her to weed out the runts, but she had no idea how to tell them apart. "Sam?" She felt foolish for talking out loud in hopes that Sam would somehow hear her, "we had our first batch. We don't know which ones to breed and which ones to discard."

There were 210 buckets full of wiggling crawling insects, given birth to by her and the 206 other girls. Each Mutatus laid enough eggs to fill a bucket. Because she had taken four, she produced four buckets full of them. "Sam? Can you hear me?"

"Yes, Eve, I hear you!" On Prime Earth, Sam responded as if she could hear him all the way from the 5th Dimension (which she obviously can't). "Eve requires my assistance. I have to go to her. We're done here, Spectre."

Turning around, Sam prepared to fly off into the 5th Dimension when the Spectre suddenly grabbed his sleeve and jerked him back. "No, Sam, you are not leaving this planet!" growled the Spectre, "I may not judge you, but there are other means to keep you from intervening with what needs to happen!"

"What?! Why?!"

"The Empty Hand is the hand of the Great Darkness! By luring out and slaughtering his Gentry, you have committed a direct act of aggression against this Great Darkness, and the Empty Hand is here to 'get even' so to speak. The treaty between light and darkness hangs in the balance here. Killing the Empty Hand will spark a war, Sam. Everything will die."

"And what do you think will happen when the Empty Hand comes here and burns the whole Multiverse to cinders?!" snapped Sam, "oh wait, everyone dies."

"Yes, but the Heavens will survive." said the Spectre, "what is destroyed can be rebuilt, but only if the slate remains intact. If the Great Darkness wipes the slate, the slate's destroyed! There will be nothing left!"

"The Heavens?" sneered Sam, "what has God ever done for you?"

"He made me what I am!" roared the Spectre, his eyes glowing green with power, "molded from his heartbreak, shaped by his rage! I am his disgust with the filth and slime like you that crawl through this Multiverse and then have the audacity to call themselves Hypergods! I am the cancer that eats away at body, mind and soul, then spits the remains into the deepest pits of hell! I am the Spirit of Vengeance!"

"You are nothing but the charred bones of a little demon!" said Sam, "I know the truth to what you are! When you melded your mind into me, I took a moment to dig through your deepest, darkest memories as well."

"Lies!" screamed the Spectre, "spawn of Lucifer!"

"I speak only of the truth!" Sam screamed back, "see for yourself, what I have uncovered!" He lunged forwards,grabbing the Spectre's chin and forcing him to meet his eyes. "You love digging through secret memories, don't you? Let's look at some of yours--" He pressed a finger to his forehead, forcing those dark memories to the surface.

The Spectre felt his sight blur as he was unwillingly forced into a vision of the past--his past; a fragment of history that was permanently wiped from existence. "--what the Archangel Michael has taken from you." He said, "I will give you what is rightfully yours."

They were back at the gates of heaven and the Archangel Michael stood towering in all his glory; his muscular chest and bulking arms were completely exposed as he wore nothing but a loose kilt, his long curly blonde hair hung around his face, and his eyes glowed bright yellow as he stared down upon a tiny demon kneeling before him. In other words, he's an alpha male.

The demon had a pair of great bat-like wings growing from his back, a pair of long tusk-like fangs growing from his mouth, and a hollow hole where his nose should be. Like The Spectre, the demon had a pair of glowing green eyes and wore a green cloak over his body--albeit of a slightly darker shade.