Chapter 37

A/N: The DC villain, The Empty Hand, will make it's first appearance in this chapter. The picture above is what he looks like.

"You're supposed to be dead," Sam noted as he quickly ducked behind Nekron for cover, pushing him forwards as a meat shield. From what he saw, Nekron was at least partially on his side. The reason was not important, but clearly, he was the better one to run to than Mandrakk.

"I am Death--or an aspect of it. I can't be killed. For me to interact with the living, I require a link between the mortal plane and the Land of The Unliving," Nekron replied, "your summoning ritual provided that link I needed. The Outer God merely disintegrated my physical form, breaking my anchor to your multiverse."

(They are not on a mortal plane of existence right now, so Nekron doesn't need a link. If you haven't read Blackest Night, then ignore this.)

"But I'm glad you made it. Kill him!" Sam shrugged.

Nekron picked up the scythe and held it defensively in front of himself, shielding them both from Mandrakk. The Black Lantern Rings swirled around the devil's body as the nanobot sand swarmed him, trying to tear his body apart. The twizzler of rings grew thicker and thicker as they tried to possess the devil, to a point where all they saw was a hurricane of black.

 The twizzler of rings grew thicker and thicker as they tried to possess the devil, to a point where all they saw was a hurricane of black

"ENOUGH!" Mandrakk's voice pierced through the clicking between the rings, the whirling of the winds, and the shuffling of the sand. Instantly, a blast of light, so bright, it shone through everything and forced both Sam and Nekron to turn away in discomfort. "Stop boring me with this pathetic child's play, Death. In case you have forgotten, you still need my help."

As the light faded, there was a circle of molten magma that surrounded Mandrakk's feet, every Black Lantern Ring dropped to the ground in a rain of black, and a pair of massive, bat-like wings now grew from Mandrakk's back.

"Lord Death has ordered your demise!" Nekron commanded, "INTEGRATE!" Stamping the scythe on the ground, he raised his hand, firing a hurricane of dark lightning from his hand directly into Mandrakk's chest.

"I bow to no one, Lord of The Unliving." Mandrakk ignored the blast as he calmly moved in on Nekron, "I demand to speak with Death of The Endless along." Raising his hand as casually as if he was merely waving hello, he willed the beam to cease. "I will not warn you again--"

Nekron raised his hands. "Super-Celestials of the Omniverse!" He bellowed, "rise!" Immediately, the remains of the bodies of The Super-Celestials rose from the ground, their physical forms reforming rapidly as the Black Lantern Rings latched onto them. They quickly swarmed towards Mandrakk, firing concussive blasts of Connective Energies at the devil, trying to bring him down.

"Mandrakk!" Nekron told the Lightbringer, "you are immune to all powers...but your own. The Super-Celestials were prodigals of yours, forged from the very essence of your will. Destroy him."