Chapter 7

"Professor!" Mxyzptlk's eyes scanned the screen carefully. "It appears we encountered an issue."

"Really?" Sam and the rest of the team gathered around him to get a look at the display. "What?"

"It appears..." Mxyzptlk frowned in confusion as he squinted, almost not believing his eyes. "Our Portal Projector has encountered some sort of an...unbreakable barrier! We don't seem to be able to go past this singularity dimension." All dimensional energy levels were completely flat; there was absolutely nothing inside the 0th dimension--it was simply a Great Darkness.

"Send a drone down there." Sam shrugged, "we're here, aren't we? Might as well see what we dug up..."

"Yes sir...sending drones." Picking up an intercom, he sent the order down to the men working in the main building.

Two remote-controlled helicopter drones flew down through the portal, travelling across the dimensions like a walk in the park. Sam and the crew watched the video feed from the drone attentively...

Nothing existed in this realm; it was a singularity composed of non-existence itself--despite switching on the headlights, they saw nothing

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Nothing existed in this realm; it was a singularity composed of non-existence itself--despite switching on the headlights, they saw nothing. There was only a complete and absolute Great Darkness that encompassed all things. The drone passed through the threshold, and toured the dark realm trying to discover anything of material...

But it didn't; there was nothing there. No reference point to determine distance. No light to see. No particles to push off of to move. Their drone simply floated around the Great Darkness, occupying everywhere and nowhere at the same time. "Conducting scans," Mxyzptlk said quietly as his slick fingers zoomed around the controls. "Scanning for matter..."

The scan came back negative.

The 0th dimension, by the looks of it, was, unlike its predecessor, completely void. By Sam's theory, and by experimental evidence, their Projector should have no problem penetrating this Great Darkness. "Just increase the power!!!" Dean Winchester suggested impatiently, "if there's nothing here, there's nothing here! Maybe we made a mistake in our calculations, or maybe your theory is completely wrong."

"No, Dean." Sam sighed. "While I agree there may be the off chance that I made a slight mistake in my hypothesis, brute-forcing science almost never works out."

"So what do you plan on doing?!" Dean snapped, "waiting it out? Hoping things will magically fix themselves?! No! 'If it doesn't work, try harder.' That's what you always say, isn't it?"

"That's not what I meant by 'try harder.'"

"Well, unless you have any other ways of 'trying harder,' let's use my way!"

"You're going to get us all killed, someday."

"No, I'm not! I'm just trying to hurry things up!"

"Rushing science never works!"