36. No

"You didn't sleep, did you?" Hoshi asked her, rubbing his eyes to wake himself up, looking at the figure next to him, lying wide awake. 

She shook her head wordlessly, looking at him, before looking at the ceiling again. 

"I-I need to do something." she whispered, and Hoshi inched closer to her, his hand making its way onto her hair, brushing through it, calming her down. 

"Go on." he whispered, and she nodded, blinking at the ceiling. 

"I n-need to talk to Seokjin." she said, and his hands froze, his gaze hardening. 

"No." he said, taking his hands off, and she chuckled. 

"H-he used to be a very good friend Hoshi, you know- " 

"Jaehwa I saw the way he hit you that day. You will not be going." he said, and she sat up, before turning to him. 

"I know you love me, and that you care for me. But I need to do this. I have so much to do." she told him, and he looked away, his eyes tearing up. 

"I-If you say you're going to talk to Heuning-Kai, then go. Taehyun, then go. But if you say you're going to talk to Seokjin and Hoseok, get manipulated, and leave me again, then I don't know what I'll do." he said, small tears going down his milky skin. 

"I-I almost lost you. TWICE." he said, sobbing into his palms. 

And he was right. 

Her being shot was the second time he'd seen her like that, after not waking up for so long, he didn't have hope that day when she'd escaped. 

Jaehwa sighed, before nodding, looking at Hoshi who walked out his room, his eyes and cheeks puffy red. 

Jaehwa was Hoshi's only friend. He considered her to be his baby sister, the one he couldn't save. 

That was his biggest regret. Not being able to save Hana. 

And it hadn't even been a day since he'd gone without thinking about Hana. She was killed, right in front of him, at only 16 years old. The twins were separated ever since, his heart aching at every memory. 

Jaehwa was just like Hana. Bubbly and excited inside, though cold and strong on the outside. 

Jaehwa got up, brushing her hair out of her face, when her gaze landed on a frail piece of paper on Hoshi's drawer. 

Curiosity at its peak, she walked towards it, picking the paper up, her eyes landing on the woman, holding two children's hands on each side, all three of them having wide smiles. 

She looked so familiar. 

2002, April 5th. said the words on the corner, and her eyes softened. 

This was so long ago.

"What are you doing?" she heard Hoshi say, and she turned around, before showing him the picture. 

"My mother." he whispered, rubbing a finger over the woman's face, when Jaehwa remembered. 

Jung Ga-in.

---