Prologue: Meeting for the First Time

Yang's Pov

I was playing with Ruby, eagerly anticipating uncle Qrow's visit. He had been off doing something I didn't care to ask about. I was about 8 at the time, and Ruby was 6. I heard a knock on the door, and jumped up to answer it. Sure enough, it was Qrow, but what surprised me was that he had brought someone else along. He looked a little younger than me, and was shyly avoiding eye contact and gripping a strap holding a weird looking sword with a trigger on the handle that he kept on his back. The weapon looked awkward, since it was longer than him at the time.

Yang: "Hi uncle Qrow! Who's this? He's cute!" I immediately stopped talking and covered my mouth, and saw the boy blushing red as a tomato and hiding behind Qrow. His cat ears had perked up, but he seemed embarrassed. 

Qrow: "Uh... This is Y/N, a student of mine," He said, sounding a little caught off guard. 

Y/N: "H-hi." He was still blushing ear to ear, like he had never seen a girl before.

Taiyang: "Oh here you are. You're late."

Qrow: "I know, we just got held up a little." He stepped in, and the boy followed closely. He shut the door and leaned against the wall, not wanting to be near anyone.

Taiyang: "Ruby! Get down here! Uncle Qrow just showed up! And he brought a friend!" 

Ruby ran down, saw everyone, and immediately latched onto Qrow's arm.

Ruby: "Hi Uncle Qrow!"

I turned to Y/N, only to notice he had disappeared from the rest of the group. 

Yang: "Hey where'd he go?"

Qrow: "Oh, he probably got shy and hid again. Can you girls just go find him? We need to talk about some adult stuff".

Yang: "Ok! Ruby, wanna check inside while I check outside?"

Ruby: "Sure! Like hide and seek!"

We both ran off, looking for our new friend. 

Y/N's Pov

I had managed to get out of there, somehow. My semblance was useful for more than fighting, sometimes. I had teleported to the other room, and found a backdoor. I opened it as silently as I could, and got back outside, away from all the people. 

I didn't know why what that girl said got to me that much, I usually could at least hold my composure even if I didn't want to talk. I figured I could just hide and wait until it was time to leave. I knew I should be trying to be polite, but I didn't trust myself around her. 

I was only 7 years old at the time, but I had seen more than most adults already. I had even taken down some more powerful Grimm. I told myself that if I could do that, I should be able to act normal around a girl, no matter how pretty she was. I wanted to punch myself for thinking that. I didn't even know her name, and I already was losing my cool. 

Yang: "Oh there you are! What are you doing out here?" I froze. This is exactly what I was worried about. 

Y/N: "I'm fine," I said quickly, trying to get her away. I avoided looking at her, knowing I wouldn't be able to hold it together if I did.

Yang: "I don't think I told you my name. I'm Yang. You're Y/N, right?"

Y/N: "Yes."

Yang: "Why don't you come back inside?"

Y/N: "I... Don't want to."

Yang: "Wanna play? The adults are talking about something. We can do whatever we want."

I paused, not knowing what to do. Qrow had brought me here because he and Ozpin had felt that I needed to at least have some time with other kids my age, even if I didn't act like them. 

Y/N: "Fine. What do you want to do... Ow!" I felt a ball hit my head. "Ok, two can play at that game." 

I threw it back, barely missing her. It kept going, and rolled into the woods, causing her to run after it. I decided to wait for her to get back, until I heard her scream. I ran after her and found 3 beowolves bearing down on her. I grabbed my sword, and cut each of them down effortlessly. 

Y/N: "Are you ok?" I looked around quickly seeing no other grimm nearby. She was clearly startled, so I grabbed her hand and dragged her back into the clearing around the house. I saw Qrow and Tai run outside and saw me with Yang. 

Qrow: "What happened? We heard a scream."

Y/N: "Some beowolves ventured too close to the house and Yang ran into them. I didn't see any more, so I think they just got separated from their pack". 

I noticed her still clinging to my arm. I couldn't blame her. I had only been able to deal with it because I had been killing those things since I was strong enough to lift my weapon properly. 

Taiyang: "Let's go inside. I think that's enough excitement for one day." 

Tai and Yang went inside. Qrow stayed with me for a second.

Qrow: "Why did you run off?"

Y/N: "I just got lost," I lied. 

Qrow: "Sure. Did you at least make a friend?"

Timeskip

No Pov

Qrow and Tai were talking. They had decided to have Y/N and Qrow stay over, and had let Yang go watch one of her favorite shows much later than normal. Ruby was in bed already.

Taiyang: "So that kid can already fight at his age? You know it isn't a good idea to only expose him to combat when he is barely old enough to start learning the alphabet". 

Qrow: "He did a lot of that stuff early. He prefers the simplicity of killing grimm over anything else. Oz just had me bring him here so he could at least have some experience with kids his age, but he always seems to blend in better with the adults." 

Taiyang: "Well why don't you have him visit more often? Yang seems to like him."

Qrow: "I'll ask Oz. Speaking of which, shouldn't they be in bed by now?"

Taiyang: "Yeah, I'll go check on them."

He got up and went to the living room, only to find the show still running and the two kids asleep next to each other. Yang's head was on Y/N's shoulder, and he was leaning on her.

Taiyang: "Nevermind, they're asleep."