Ch 37: Final Preparations

No Pov

Everyone continued to train. Wiess, Blake, and Yang had largely mastered their powers, and Ruby was starting to be able to use her eyes at will. Y/N was already in his peak, but he continued to push himself harder, pushing what limits he had. Ozpin began teaching Oscar certain types of magic and strange forms of aura manipulation, since if they won the knowledge of them would be gone afterward. 

Team JNPR had chosen to leave the war against Salem behind, since it would be over soon anyway and they wanted to take the chance to live normal lives. Jaune and Pyrrha got married, and Nora finally confessed to Ren.

Y/N's Pov

Qrow and I were sparring against each other. Qrow had been turning into a bird to reposition, but I was more than capable of keeping up. I got him into the red fairly quickly once I caught him in an uppercut and hit him from every angle. He fell to the ground.

Qrow: "Well, good game, kid."

Y/N: "You're still pretty good. I just counter everything most people can do."

Qrow: "I'm glad we found you. Thanks to everything you've done, we might be able to end this before I have to retire."

Y/N: "Thank those kids. They've done more than me."

Qrow: "I don't know if that's true. You've gave your entire childhood for this. Sure, they've accomplished more than you in the last year, but that's because there's four of them. Also, I find it funny that you call them kids even though Ruby is the only one who isn't older than you."

Y/N: "You know what I mean. I've seen more than most people your age."

Qrow: "Well, I'll catch you later. I'm going for a drink."

Y/N: "I honestly think you fight better when you're drunk, actually."

Qrow: "Maybe. I should probably give it up, though. This stuff kills you."

Y/N: "Of course it does. It's a literal poison."

Qrow: "Yeah. In any case, I think we're mostly ready. Ozpin should be coordinating our final assault." He left. 

I wasn't sure I would actually be seeing the end of it, but for now I had to pretend to be hopeful. I had a few moments where my feelings overtook me and I thought I would see something afterward, but I wasn't sure that I should come out alive. 

In another future, I led the Grimm against my friends and people. Sure, it was against the gods, but after they were dead I still was against humanity. As I was thinking about that future, I thought of something. 

We didn't know of anything that could destroy the relics, but we hadn't tried that hard since we thought they were needed. As far as we knew, my semblance was capable of exerting an infinite force, so if anything could break them, that would be it. I went to Ozpin and asked him about it.

Ozpin: "Interesting. That would keep the gods from ever coming back."

Y/N: "Exactly. We don't know what will happen, so I should probably do it in the vault. My semblance protects me from hurting myself from anything I do with it, but it could destroy a building if this thing is hard enough. We should try it in a safe environment."

Ozpin: "I agree. I will have Blake open the vault." We did, and I went inside. I took the lamp, and prepared to strike it with my blade.

I brought it down and...

Nothing happened. I tried again, and still nothing happened. I saw the air around the lamp distort, leading me to realize that my semblance was deciding to just move the sword around the lamp instead of directly hitting it. That probably meant that the lamp was unbreakable. I tried a few more times, getting the same result. Well, I tried.