Ch 4: Echoes of the Past

Y/N's Pov

I had elected to stay at beacon. It just seemed like such an obvious time to attack. Many the students and teachers would be gone. I sat alone, waiting for anything to happen. I had time to think now that I was completely alone with only a few teams and some teachers. 

My thoughts immediately turned to Yang as I sat there. I didn't want to admit it, but I did like her. I also was fully aware she liked me back, at least to some degree. But I also knew that relationships were not a luxury I had right now, maybe not ever. I couldn't afford to let anyone get that close to me, because they could be used against me. As much as I didn't like it, I knew it would be much worse if I let my feelings get in the way.

As I sat there, I felt someone watching me. I pretended not to notice, but kept my eye on my surroundings. I waited for the inevitable attack, and soon felt them coming closer once they were close enough, I teleported to where they were and took a swing at them. 

Surprisingly, they managed to move away in time, even though my semblance is instant. That meant they had something amplifying their reflexes, and saw me winding my attack up. I turned and saw who it was, and was greeted with what looked like a man about my height wearing a typical white fang uniform. His face was obscured by his Grimm mask, so I couldn't see his face. I noticed some kind of tail, and what looked like either fox or cat ears on his head. 

???: "So, this is where you ended up."

Y/N: "Who are you? You're not supposed to be here. Leave or I will make you."

???: "You don't recognize me?"

Y/N: "Well, you are wearing a mask and you look like any other cannon fodder grunt I would beat up on a normal day."

???: "Maybe this will jog your memory." His body glowed a strange red color and he lunged at me at an incredible speed. I used my instant movement to hit him before he got to me, sending him flying across the courtyard. He landed and instantly ran next to me, so I quickly teleported back and hit him with several dust waves from my sword. 

He jumped out of the way, and drew double katanas, which he put together forming what looked like a sniper rifle. He fired some shots at me, and I used my new gravity dust attachment on my sheath to catch the bullets and hurl them back at him. He was not prepared for this, and they all hit. I followed up with several more dust waves of my own while he was stunned, and he failed to dodge all of them. His aura was quickly failing, while I had, like usual, not taken a hit. 

He fled. I tried to pursue, but I quickly lost him. Immediately I pulled out my scroll and called Ozpin.

Y/N: "Come on, pick up, old man."

Ozpin: "Hello, Y/N? Did something happen?"

Y/N: "I was attacked by a white fang member. He claimed he knew me."

Ozpin: "Did he seem familiar at all?"

Y/N: "No. All I know is his semblance is some form of fast movement. I was barely able to keep up with him."

Ozpin: "Where is he now?"

Y/N: "He ran after I hit him pretty hard. I lost him. I'm sorry."

Ozpin: "We will discuss this later. For now just stay there and wait for us. I can't return early without arousing suspicion from the students."

Y/N: "Ok, fine."

Timeskip

Yang's Pov

The trip was fun enough. We got the sap, fought some Grimm, and left. I heard Jaune saved Cardin from a Grimm. Maybe that will get him to stop being such a jerk.