Ch 28: Heartwarming Family Reunion

No Pov

Y/N and Yang waited for a few more days, seeing the polarization of the public continue to get worse. At one point a small altercation began between the White Fang and a few huntsmen. Y/N was getting increasingly worried about what would inevitably happen. He had an idea, but he was afraid to tell Yang about it.

Unknown to them, Salem had mostly given up on Adam due to his inability to succeed at Beacon and his current failure to hold the public. She had instead struck a deal with Eve's faction. She would send Grimm to attack Menagerie and have Eve's followers push them back, gaining more support from the public and making Adam look weak.

One day, Eve had enough people that she made her move. The Grimm attacked, taking out the White Fang guarding the borders getting into the towns. Eve's forces started pushing them back easily while Eve herself took a group of her most powerful followers to take on Adam himself. Adam's father reorganized the White Fang and led a counterattack against the Grimm and Eve's huntsmen outside Adam's palace.

Y/N's Pov

Yang and I started by helping fight off the Grimm, while at the same time attacking Eve's huntsmen and the remaining White Fang, showing we weren't with either them. I saw that Eve was going directly for Adam, and saw my chance to take her out.

Y/N: "I have to go. Can you handle yourself here?"

Yang: "Of course! I'm having fun!" Of course she was. 

I saw that Adam had come outside to meet his attackers alone. They were already fighting. I noted that Eve had 4 huntsmen with her, each a different faunus type. 

I saw a rhino, a rabbit, a fox, and some kind of bug I couldn't identify. I noted as much of their semblances as well. The rhino had what looked like some kind of raw strength semblance, the rabbit had a speed one that looked like a weaker version of my father's, the fox could create what looked like claws made of aura, and the bug could teleport, sort of like my semblance but without the localization and unstoppable blows. 

I knew I couldn't take all of them at once, so I had no choice but to go with the idea I had before. That was the reason I didn't want Yang around to see this. The rabbit and the bug came at Adam both at once, but I jumped in between them and pushed both back. I put my weapon to Adam's throat.

Adam: "Oh. Hello, brother. You throwing in with them too? Or are you on your own here?"

Y/N: "You're going to pay for what you did at Beacon."

Adam: "So you're with them? You want to help her enslave our people?"

Y/N: "Of course not. You don't seriously think she deserves to take us both out?"

Adam: "I see. What do you say we deal with them and then settle our differences?" I didn't answer. I just turned to Eve and her bodyguards.

Eve: "Well, I never thought I would see the day when the two of you actually work together."

Y/N: "How would you know us?"

Eve: "You don't recognize you own mother?" I was surprised, but then I noticed she had the same ears as Adam. She also had my hair.

Y/N: "As much as I would like to know how it ended up like this, I think we all know that someone is going to die today."

Adam: "I couldn't agree more."

We started walking towards her. Her bodyguards got ready to attack. Adam charged while I teleported to the group and plowed through all of them. The rhino landed on his feet and lunged at me, so I dodged out of the way and let him slam into the rabbit. I teleported back and fired dust waves at all of them while Adam started beating each of them down. 

I noticed our specific abilities actually complimented each other fairly well. He would go in hard, and I could cover him while hitting them with my own moves. For the most part, I followed his lead, making sure he was free to build energy with his semblance and not get hit directly by any of them. 

He went straight for Eve, while I kept the others at bay by teleporting to them and pushing them back or firing dust waves. Adam got some good hits in, but the bug was able to continually reposition her out of his way. We looked at each other and instantly knew what the other was thinking. It was time to switch places.

Adam broke off his attack on Eve, while I took his place. Since I could teleport too, she could no longer get out of the way. I punched her right in the forehead with the gauntlet, breaking her concentration. Everyone she controlled seemed to get dizzy for a second. 

Adam saw what I was doing, so I hit Eve into the air and sent her flying with a swing of my sword to Adam. He hit her back to me, and for a few seconds we played tennis with her. She eventually broke away when she regained enough concentration to get the rhino to attack Adam, forcing him to break off. But I didn't let up. 

I teleported to the air above her and dived into the ground, shaking the entire battlefield and leaving a large crater, knocking them all off their feet. Adam took the opportunity and released some of the energy he'd built into her minions, taking out all but the fox who took several swings at him. He parried them easily while I kept hitting Eve. 

She managed to hold her concentration enough to get the fox to come at me, but Adam simply replaced me in going for her. She tried to get away, but he was too ferocious. He broke her aura and stabbed her. She fell to the ground, dead. Her control of all her victims broke, causing massive chaos. The Grimm broke through the now disorganized line and poured into everywhere they sensed humans.

Y/N: "Did you know she was our mother?"

Adam: "No. But it makes sense. She left after we lost you." He paused and looked at the gauntlet on my hand. "I see you're close with that friend of Blake."

Y/N: "I told you, you're going to pay for everything you did that night." The sky had darkened and now it was raining.

He had nothing else to say to me. He just charged and released some energy at me. I dodged it and uppercutted him into the air. He broke away, but not before I got several hard swings in. He pushed back with another charge, but this time took normal swings at me. 

I pulled back and he took several shots at me with his gun. I caught them and sent them back, but he blocked them with his sword and absorbed the energy. Some Grimm also joined in the battle, and they all targeted him since he had a stronger aura. 

While he was distracted, I teleported above him and slammed into the ground. He was pushed back, but held his footing. He counterattacked and I barely parried it. We exchanged blows for a while longer, until he got me with a stray swing. My aura shattered and I fell to the ground.

Adam: "Sorry, brother."

Y/N: "Don't call me your brother." I teleported to him and punched him right in the face with Yang's gauntlet. He was hurt, but his aura held. He got up and lunged at me. Now I unleashed my full power, hitting him from every direction at once. To an outside observer, it would have appeared I was in several places at once. 

I hit so fast that several times the air around him was completely free of raindrops, since the sheer force I was hitting with caused them to evaporate. Somehow, he was able to mostly keep up. The Grimm that had come at us were obliterated in the storm of cuts I was putting out. It had only been a few seconds, but I could tell he was low. Unfortunately, before I could finish him he released everything he had too. The explosion knocked me too the ground. I fell unconscious.

Yang's Pov

I went to check on Y/N after the Grimm broke through. I hoped he was ok. When I got there, I saw Adam about to finish him off. I knew this time, I could get him. I jumped at him and he tried to hit me, but I fired into the ground, using the recoil to change the trajectory and get past his swing. He was sent flying back and his aura broke. He ran away before I could follow. I picked up Y/N and carried him bridal-style. I got out during the cleanup and took him to Vale.

Yang: "Nobody hurts my Pretty Kitty." I muttered.