Ch 36: Tying Up Loose Ends

Yang's Pov

I told my team what happened the day after we got back. Even though we knew that Summer had been corrupted, hearing the full extent of what Salem had done to her was still a shock. Ruby took it about as well as me. Afterward she resolved to work even harder to learn how to use her eyes. 

I also noticed Y/N was coming back from his own training looking like he did after the Beacon attack. I got used to the Spring powers pretty quickly, but Ruby was taking a while to fully learn how to use her eyes.

Y/N's Pov

I got a call from Ironwood. Mercury had been released, and sent to Vale so that we could keep tabs on him. Qrow came back as well, and helped us prepare for the final battle. He told me that Emerald had broken out, so I decided to go see if Mercury knew how to find her. I found him fairly quickly sitting alone in a street corner.

Mercury: "Woah! Leave me alone! I already told you everything I know! And where did you come from? Are you spying on me?"

Y/N: "Please. I can comb the entire city in a few minutes. I just went looking."

Mercury: "So what do you want from me?"

Y/N: "Emerald broke out. We need to know if you can help find her."

Mercury: "Why should I help you without something in return?"

Y/N: "In return, I won't break your shiny new legs."

Mercury: "She probably went back to Salem. That's it."

Y/N: "Of course. Maybe this time I should just kill her then. This is getting old." 

I wasn't actually planning on that, but I was trying to see if these two cared about each other and if Mercury could convince her to just leave all this behind. I would prefer not to kill anyone I didn't have to, even if I was a heartless monster by now. 

Mercury: "I might be able to get her to let go of Cinder. But I want something in return."

Y/N: "You helped stage an attack on Beacon. You're lucky we didn't straight out give you the death penalty. You have nothing to bargain with."

Mercury: "Let me get her away, at least. Then you let us go, and we never see each other again."

Y/N: "Hm. I'm not going to lie, that's rather tempting. I'll ask everyone else what they think. Maybe you and your little girlfriend will be able to walk away from this mess." 

I left while hearing him angrily saying that they were just friends. Well, he wasn't sticking his nose where it didn't belong, at least. I got back to Ozpin and told him about Mercury's offer.

Ozpin: "Tell him I agree to his deal. I would prefer to end this with as little bloodshed as possible."

Y/N: "Got it."

Ozpin: "Before you leave, Oscar would like to speak to you."

Y/N: "Um... Ok, what is it?" Oscar took control.

Oscar: "Hey. I was just wondering if, since we're going to kill Salem, does that mean we won't merge?"

Y/N: "You're asking me?"

Oscar: "It's not just that... I... Um..."

Y/N: "What?"

Oscar: "I like Ruby, ok?" He blurted out.

Y/N: "Oh, good Oum in heaven."

Oscar: "And I was just wondering, how did you keep the way you felt towards Yang in for so long? And how did you ever end up in a relationship?"