Ch 21: Holidays Off

No Pov

Beacon was finally declared safe, and the other kingdoms left. It was starting to get colder as the year went on. It was decided that students would not be required to return until the next year, and they would get credit for their ordeal that would let them graduate sooner.

Everyone said their goodbyes again and things went back to some kind of normal. As winter started many students left for the holidays. Yang had to drag Y/N with her, though. 

One day the heating broke in the house. Everyone but Y/N were fine, their auras and some blankets were enough but Y/N didn't have anything but his jacket and a blanket to keep him warm. Ruby and Taiyang had gone into town to see if they could find a repair shop.

Yang's Pov

I looked over at Y/N shivering on the couch.

Yang: "Are you sure you're fine?"

Y/N: "Yes."

Yang: "Come on. You look terrible."

Y/N: "Good. Now you can't call me cute."

Yang: "I still think you're cute. I just mean you need to stop acting like nothing's wrong."

Y/N: "Why does it matter? The heating's broken. This is the best I can do. There's no point in complaining if you can't do anything about it."

Yang: "We can. Move over."

Y/N: "How will that help?"

Yang: "Because I'm warm. Now move."

Y/N: "I-I don't need your help." I couldn't tell if he was stuttering because he was cold or because he was flustered. Probably both.

Yang: "Yes you do." I pushed him to the other side of the couch and sat down. He just sighed and leaned away from me. I grabbed the blanket and got under it. "You aren't getting away that easy."

Y/N: "Is there anything you won't use as a excuse to get close to me?"

Yang: "No. That's what girlfriends and boyfriends are supposed to do."

Y/N: "If that's what I'm supposed to do, why are you still here?"

Yang: "What?"

Y/N: "I don't know if you realize, but your options are not exactly limited."

Yang: "Oh, don't you dare say something like that." I felt my eyes turn red. I hated when he said things like this about himself. It drove me crazy that he wouldn't admit he might be a good person. I guess it was easier for him to hide behind self-hatred than to get near anyone. Maybe it came with growing up doing nothing but fighting a battle he would never see the end of.

Y/N: "Why not?"

Yang: "Because I care! I hate seeing you so down all the time. And it's kind of insulting to me too."

Y/N: "How?"

Yang: "Because you're acting like I don't know what's good for me."

Y/N: "I'm not good for you. Or anyone. The only thing I'm good for is being pointed in a certain direction and killing everything there."

Yang: "That isn't true!" I grabbed him by the collar and forced him to look at me. "You aren't just some weapon. How bad did Ozpin screw you up?"

Y/N: "This has nothing to do with him. I just see that the only thing I can do is try to hurt what we're up against as much as possible so that those who come after us are safer than before. One person going through all of that pain is better than everyone dealing with it." I just stared at him. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.