Ch 2: Getting Situated

Y/N's Pov

I woke up late. I checked the time and knew that the students were about to leave for initiation.

Y/N: "Perfect. I need to talk to Oz, and now I can guarantee no one will hear." I left my room, and slipped into the group of students seamlessly. The trip to the forest would hopefully be uneventful, and then me and Ozpin could coordinate how best to deal with this.

Yang's Pov

If I wasn't sure Y/N wasn't telling the truth before, I was now. He hadn't been with the rest of the students when we all went to sleep the night before, and he was avoiding me again on the ride to the forest. We arrived, and then catapulted into the woods looking for chess pieces.

Y/N's Pov

After all the students had been thrown into the fray, I immediately walked over to Ozpin.

Y/N: "So, how is Amber doing?"

Ozpin: "She appears to have lost part of her power to whoever attacked her. She's holding on for now, but it doesn't look good."

Y/N: "Any leads on who did it?"

Ozpin: "Well, we know that whoever it was probably caught her by surprise, since they beat her at all."

Y/N: "I just hope we can catch them before they come back for the rest of her power."

Ozpin: "I hope so too. Until then, you are too blend in with the students. You don't need to do any homework or anything like that, but you may have to at least be present in some classes in order to appear to be here for the same reason they are."

I knew this was going to be a long year. This could take months to bust open, and we didn't have that time. I just hoped that if a disaster was brewing, I might be able to stop it. Salem had been getting bolder recently, and with this attack, we were worried she would get the fall maiden power on her side. If she got that, suddenly the game would change massively. 

Ozpin: "By they way, you don't have to be so... avoidant of other people. It will look suspicious if a student is never seen doing homework and has no friends."

Y/N: "I'm not exactly a people person," I snapped. 

I hated when this conversation came up. It always went the same way, Ozpin reminding me that I was still a kid and shouldn't waste my youth, only for me to inevitably respond that if he wanted me to be a normal child, he should have left me where he found me. He would then say that doing my job and being a person were not mutually exclusive, he would mention that other huntsmen had normal lives outside their work, to which I would respond that what he had me doing for him was far from normal huntsmen jobs. 

Except this time he didn't take it in the direction he normally did.

Ozpin: "I know, but some people here already know you."

Y/N: "Two people here know me. That's it."

Ozpin: "And those two people are not exactly quiet. And it would hurt both of them if you just cut them away every time either of them talk to you."

Oh, now I saw where he was going with this.

Y/N: "So what do you want me to do then? I can't commit to any activities even if I had friends."

Ozpin: "You will not be occupied every second of every day, and without any homework, you will have plenty of free time."

I wanted to protest, but he was right.

Y/N: "Fine. I'll talk to people SOMETIMES. But not any more than the bare minimum."

Ozpin: "Good. I hope you don't waste this period of your life. Many people meet lifelong friends and even partners in school, and to miss that would not be good for you-"

Y/N: "I didn't say I would like it. Now can we get back to the matter at hand?"

Ozpin: "I already told you everything we know. You will likely have to wait for whoever attacked Amber to come back. Until then, blend in. Don't draw attention, but also don't disappear completely."

I sat there and waited for the initiation to be over, since there was nothing else to talk about.

Timeskip

Yang's Pov

Initiation had gone well. I had paired with the Blake, the black haired girl Ruby met earlier. Ruby had paired with Weiss Shnee, the white-haired girl she had blown up when we first arrived. The 4 of us were put on a team together. Barf-boy (named Jaune) had paired with Pyrrah Nikos, and they were put with a crazy girl named Nora and a quiet guy named Ren. 

What surprised me was that Y/N hadn't appeared at the ceremony at all, not like he was sick, he was just never listed as having a team. What was even stranger was that there didn't seem to be any teams with space for him. I figured I would just chase him down and probably get another cagy response. I was starting to worry he was involved in something dangerous, since he was clearly not here under any normal circumstances. 

I found him later, texting on his scroll. I decided to at least talk to him, since he looked tired and annoyed. 

Yang: "Hi! Who're you texting? Is it a... girl?" I asked tauntingly.

Y/N: "None of your business."

Yang: "Is it some super secret stuff? I know you're up to something. I'm not that stupid as to think someone shows up with new top-of-the-line gear, doesn't get assigned to a team, and then is always looking distressed and constantly looking at his scroll like he's expecting something important."

Y/N: "I was enrolled last minute, so there wasn't another 3 people brought in to balance me out."

Yang: "Well Ruby was fine."

Y/N: "Exactly. We didn't have time to figure things out."

Yang: "We? Who else is working with you then?"

Y/N: "Ozpin adopted me remember? That's it. Nothing is going on."

Yang: "So why don't you come hang out with us then?"

Y/N: "What?"

Perfect, now he's backed into a corner. Now he has to admit he is doing something or has to actually talk to people.

Yang: "If you aren't doing anything, why don't you have some fun?"

Y/N: "I didn't say I was doing nothing. I said nothing out of the ordinary was happening."

Yang: "Oh come on, they barely gave us any homework. What more could you need to do?"

Y/N: "I will bet good money you didn't do it."

Yang: "It's not like it's that big a deal. I can get by with just my fighting ability, you should know that."

Y/N: "Either way, I do not need to go 'hang out', or anything else."

Yang: "Please? I just want to be friends again." I knew getting serious would at least get his attention, even if he still decided to be stubborn as a brick wall.

Y/N: "... Don't you have enough friends? You seem to already be known across most of the school."

Yang: "So you just think I forgot about you? You saved my life when we were kids!"

Y/N: "And if I remember correctly, you were in the woods because I threw a ball and you went chasing after it. You would have been fine if I was never there."

Yang: "You also were helpful when I started learning how to fight. And you were a good friend when I actually could get you to talk to me. You were there for me when I was reminded of my mom. I'm not just going to throw that away now, when you are clearly stressed and have something on your mind!"

His scroll buzzed. He picked it up.

Y/N: "Hello? What do you need? I'm kind of in the middle of something. Ok, I call you back."

I leaned closer to his scroll.

Yang: "Hiiiiii! Is this Y/N's boss or something?" He immediately pushed me back and told them that's what he was trying to deal with, and he would call back later.

Y/N: "This is why I started avoiding you. You don't take even a second to think before you do or say something." He turned and walked away.