Ch 14.5: Cleanup 2

Y/N's Pov

It was now a few more weeks since the attack on Beacon. I had mostly just been escorting and guarding the rebuilding crew along with clearing out Grimm. I was back in Vale, which was beginning to look relatively normal, aside from the lack of civilians. 

I was just walking around, waiting for the team I was going to go accompany to load all of their heavy equipment and get ready. I was on my way back to check on them, when I ran into professor Oobleck. Apparently he was just looking for something to do, since it wasn't as if school was in session.

Oobleck: "Ah hello Y/N! I see you beat me back. I assumed I was the first to return."

Y/N: "You are. I never left." He held out his hand and I shook it. He laughed.

Oobleck: "I should not be surprised. So, do you know where help is needed?"

Y/N: "Actually, I was heading back to a group who needed a huntsmen escort. You could come along if you want." I normally wouldn't want to ask someone else for help, but Oobleck was one of the only people I could easily work with. Probably because unlike Ozpin, he let me do my own thing and didn't mind that I never took a break.

Oobleck: "Splendid idea!"

We headed back to the bullhead. We helped finish loading up, and headed out. Our goal was to map out the ruins and identify how much building material could be salvaged and how much had to be dismantled and recycled. That was what they needed the heavy equipment for.

The mission went off without a hitch, we barely even saw any Grimm. It did take the whole rest of the day, though. While we were loading back up I overheard the crew talking.

Worker: "I still can't believe we have to bring a kid along for this." Just then, I heard a Grimm coming. It went for him, and I cut it in half.

Y/N: "If you want to go alone for the next mission, be my guest." I heard Oobleck and the others laugh.

Timeskip

Oobleck had been around helping for a few days and it had started feeling like the days when I was younger and Ozpin just let me do missions all the time. I got called by Ironwood.

Y/N: "You needed me?"

Ironwood: "One of the student teams, JNPR from Beacon has returned and wants to help. Oobleck is on a mission, and I want at least one experienced huntsmen to accompany them." Normally I hated babysitting, but they were a competent enough team that I didn't mind.

Y/N: "You didn't tell them that, did you?"

Ironwood: "Of course not."

Y/N: "Where are they?"

Ironwood: "They are waiting for you at a bullhead. You'll be able to find them."

Y/N: "Alright." I left.

I found them fairly quickly and we were briefed on what our mission. Some Grimm had pushed into one of the construction sites and driven out the workers. No one had been killed, but progress there was frozen. Our mission was simple. Go in, and kill. Like what Ozpin had me doing early on.

We boarded and headed out.

Jaune: "You ok?"

Y/N: "What do you mean?"

Ren: "You look like you haven't slept for days."

Y/N: "I'm fine. This is part of the job."

Pyrrha: "What have you been doing?"

Y/N: "Helping out here."

Jaune: "When did you come back?"

Y/N: "I never left. I know this place better than anyone, so I stayed."