Ch 23: Cowards are Never Trustworthy

Y/N's Pov

We got back to civilization without incident.

Y/N: "You head back, have some fun with your team."

Yang: "What are you gonna do?"

Y/N: "I'm going to visit one of our people. He might be able to help."

Yang: "You better be back soon."

Y/N: "It won't take long. I just need to ask a few questions."

Raven said that she had opened the vault with her powers. That could only have happened with approval from Lionheart, and he hadn't contacted us to ask about it. To put it simply, I feared the worst. I called Ozpin and told him as much as I felt comfortable discussing over scroll.

Timeskip

I got to the academy and headed inside. I didn't know Lionheart that well, but he would recognize me. I sent him a message asking to speak to him and was told he was busy. I told him I was sent by Ozpin, and that it was urgent. He seemed pretty reluctant, but he didn't have any other excuse. I went into his office and saw him sitting there, looking fairly stressed.

Lionheart: "W-well, what is it? I don't have all day."

Y/N: "It's late Spring. What's got you this busy? The school year should be winding down."

Lionheart: "Uh, I need to... Handle preparations for students to complete their exams."

Y/N: "Ok, then. Are we alone?"

Lionheart: "Of course. You're too used to Beacon, where there is always someone waiting to pounce. Out here nothing really happens." He laughed nervously. He had always been skittish, but this was a whole new level.

Y/N: "Then I won't beat around the bush. I-" Suddenly I heard a faint clicking sound. It wasn't that noticeable, but having 2 sets of ears that specialize in different pitches meant that it was easier for me to hear. "What was that?" It sounded vaguely familiar.

Lionheart: "What?" Now he looked really nervous. He had heard it. "I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it was footsteps downstairs." I stepped forward. I heard it again. It sounded like it was in his desk. I knew where I recognized it now.

Y/N: "Hm. What's in your desk?"

Lionheart: "N-nothing! There's only papers in there."

Y/N: "Sorry, I'm just hearing something. Can I look to be sure?"

Lionheart: "That is not necessary."

Y/N: "If there's nothing, why not?" He looked like he was panicking. I walked over and opened the drawer. One of Salem's seers flew out and tried to slit my throat. I dodged and he jumped back and grabbed his weapon, pointing it not at the ball, but at me. "Seriously?"

Lionheart: "I didn't want to."

Y/N: "You always were a coward."

Salem: "He simply saw that his fight was unwinnable."

Y/N: "I don't fear you, Salem. You're just as pathetic. You hang back in the shadows and only get your own hands dirty every few centuries." 

The seer tried to stab me, but I cut off that rope and the knife flew into the wall. It turned and stabbed Lionheart. I split it in half with a dust wave. The cloud that came out and the glass just disintegrated. Apparently Salem had nothing else to say to me. I looked at Lionheart and saw his heart was bleeding. 

I grabbed a first aid kit, bandaged him, and called for help. Then I disappeared and let the paramedics do their thing. I knew he wouldn't be stupid enough to try to pin this on me, and I hadn't shown my face on any cameras. There wouldn't even be much record of me being in Haven at all. I headed back to Beacon over the next few hours, just teleporting as fast as possible.