Ch 35: Chasing the Bird

Y/N's Pov

Yang and I woke up and left fairly early. If this went well, we would be back sometime in the late afternoon. I was given a special scroll that we would give to her so that we could communicate securely. I held on to Yang as I got ready to start going.

Y/N: "Close your eyes. I don't know how you'll handle moving this fast."

Yang: "Ok, Kitty. You know, I might just fall asleep here. You're so comfy." I rolled my eyes and started going.

Timeskip

We arrived where Raven's camp was as fast as I could. I let go of Yang and she looked a little dizzy but was fine. Raven came out of her tent.

Raven: "What do you two want this time?"

Y/N: "We need to talk in private."

Raven: "This better be good."

Yang: "Oh, it is." I went inside with Raven. Yang stayed outside to make sure her tribe didn't try anything.

Y/N: "We have a way to kill Salem."

Raven: "She can't be killed. Ozpin's probably lying to you."

Y/N: "This comes from the lamp, not Ozpin."

Raven: "Really? And this involves me how?"

Y/N: "We need all four maidens. That's why we came to you."

Raven: "If this fails, Salem will never leave me alone."

Y/N: "She's probably thinking of killing you already. But this way, you'll never have to worry about her again."

Raven: "And how do I know this is not just an attempt to bring me in and punish me for leaving your little club?"

Y/N: "Because outside of being the Spring Maiden, there really isn't anything special about you."

Raven: "You watch your tone, young man-"

Y/N: "I beat both the Fall and Winter Maidens, one of which I did alone."

Raven: "So what do you need? You just want me to come along for the ride and use my power at the last minute?"

Y/N: "Pretty much. Does that conflict with your busy schedule of robbing and killing?" I felt a small wind. "Listen. This is a good deal for you. Salem will be gone forever, and we'll leave you alone. Then you can sit here and wallow with your merry band of bandits like you do now."

Raven: "I see. Maybe I will actually consider it."

Y/N: "I have a way for you to get in contact with us, if you want." I pulled out the special scroll. She took it. Suddenly we heard yelling.

Raven: "Why is it that you always have Grimm following you?"

Y/N: "We were going at a speed far too fast for them to be able to find us. It's like I said. She's probably after you."

Raven: "If this is all she has, it won't be a problem."

Y/N: "She managed to make a Grimm that could take down a maiden. I wouldn't be so sure." 

We headed out and started dealing with the Grimm. We saw another big humanoid Grimm with glowing purple eyes that was using powers similar to what I had heard the Summer Maiden was capable of. It was creating lightning and burning hot weapons. I hoped Yang wouldn't piece together who we were probably looking at. 

I shot a dust wave at it and it howled, then everywhere around us was enveloped in a purple glow. I teleported myself, Yang and Raven away and got us just our of range. The rest of the camp was burned, and everyone stuck in the blast was burned so thoroughly that there was nothing left. 

This had to be the corrupted silver eyes that Jinn told me about. The survivors of the blast were quickly cut down by the other Grimm, which were apparently not affected by the explosion.

Yang: "What... That's not..." I hugged her. Raven looked furious.

Raven: "Is this what you meant?"

Y/N: "Yes. Now do you at least want revenge?"

Raven: "Of course I do now. I have nothing to lose. But you better find a way to deal with that." 

I teleported back into the remains of the camp and got its attention. It seemed drained from using its eyes. It used its other powers to try to take me on, but I was too fast for anything it could do in its drained state. It didn't seem that interested in me, and started moving toward Raven and Yang. 

Raven hovered over and started to take it on with her own power. Yang joined in as well. Unfortunately, it was far too powerful and seemed to heal from everything we threw at it, while it whittled us down slowly. I could tell Raven was low, so I started trying to pull it away from her. It wouldn't let up and broke Raven's aura. It was about to stab her, and I had an idea.

Y/N: "Summer Rose!" It stopped. At least it recognized that name. "Remember me? The kid Ozpin brought into this way too early?" It looked over at me.

Yang: "Summer? Is that you?" Now it looked confused. It started shaking. It clearly remembered Yang. In a fit of confusion, it stabbed Raven and then fell down. Then it seemed to compose itself and run off. Yang looked at Raven. "Mom!" She ran over to her and held her up. The wound was about a foot and a half long, so there was no way to stop the bleeding.

Raven: "This is it. I go down with my people." She grabbed Yang's hand. "I'm sorry for leaving you. Just promise me one thing. You'll make Salem hurt." Yang was crying. 

Raven's breathing stopped and Yang seemed to be feeling the power come to her. She got control of it and leaned on me. I held her close. I looked down at Raven. I had called her a deadbeat a few minutes ago, and now she had given it all for her daughter. I couldn't imagine what Yang was feeling right now. Her biological mother had just been killed by her stepmother who had been turned into a monster.

Y/N: "I'm sorry, Yang. But we need to get back. It's not safe here. Hold on." She already was, so I started going.

Timeskip

We arrived back at Beacon fairly quickly. I took Yang straight to our room. I put her down and sat down next to her.

Y/N: "What can I do?"

Yang: "Just hold me for a while." She still had tears in her eyes. "What do we do now? You saw what that thing can do."

Y/N: "Jinn said that a blast from Ruby's eyes would free her. I guess it will burn away the Grimm shell and get her back to herself. There's still hope."

Yang: "Thanks. Please... Don't let go."

Y/N: "I won't. It's ok. Just rest. We'll save Summer. It'll all be ok." 

I don't know how long we sat there, but eventually it got dark. We got in bed and went to sleep. For once she was the one laying her head on me. She fell asleep, and I was still thinking. If that was what Summer could do, we needed to make our attack soon. 

And now, despite how much Yang had just gone through, she did get the Spring Maiden powers. That only left training everyone to use what they had. Wiess could help with that, since she'd had hers longer. After that, we wouldn't wait even a second longer than we had to.

No Pov

Salem was sitting at her table. Ozpin was getting bold. Whatever made him want the lamp and the Spring Maiden was something important, given that he was sending his little errand boy to personally get them. 

She dispatched more of the new Grimm bugs she had created to try to find out. This was different from any way Ozpin had behaved before. He had never dared venture into her territory, or be this direct. That could only mean he had something he thought was extremely important.

The following days, Ruby trained with Ozpin to use her silver eyes while Wiess taught Blake and Yang how to use the maiden powers. It was coming along well, for now. Everyone had a sense of endgame. Y/N trained on his own, pushing himself harder than ever. He'd had an idea that he knew he couldn't tell anyone about. 

He had realized that everyone else had something that they needed to kill Salem. That made him expendable. He could give them a chance to get Summer back. On top of that, he was still worried that he might somehow turn against everyone like he did in the dark future he saw.