Ch 12: Calm Before the Storm

Y/N's Pov

With the students from the other schools gone, classes resumed. I was worried. Without all those armed people, Beacon was much more vulnerable than it had been during the festival. I had started to relax, while still making sure to maintain my reflexes. I tried to put Yang out of my mind, but with each time I caught her staring and each flirty remark, it got harder and harder. She clearly had me in her sights now. 

Qrow had left to try to beat Salem to finding the Spring Maiden, while I was to wait out the end of the year unless something else came up. Ozpin had managed to keep his job as headmaster, thankfully. The Atlas operatives that had been hunting down Torchwick's associates and the White Fang had left and Vale's police department had taken over. They knew they could come to me if there was anything I could help with. 

So that left just me, Ozpin, Glynda, and Amber to defend the school. I was seriously considering that maybe we should get at least some more people with us. We didn't have anyone else at the beginning of the year, but the situation had escalated since then.

But none of that mattered right now. I was training with Amber to try to make sure she could handle what was being thrown at her. She was getting better, I just hoped it would be enough.

Y/N: "You're doing good. I think you should be able to handle yourself most of the time now."

Amber: "Really? You think so? What about the people who almost killed me? The one who can make people see things is still out there."

Y/N: "We'll get them. For now, just keep training." I got a text. It was from Yang. Crap. 

Yang: 'Watcha doing?'

Y/N: 'What do you want?'

Yang: 'We're playing games. Wanna come?'

Y/N: 'I'm training.'

Yang: 'Aw. Sya later then!' I saw an image of a heart sent right after. I put it away franticly, hoping to get it out of my mind before I started to blush.

Amber: "Who is that?"

Y/N: "The crazy girl from earlier."

Amber: "The one who clearly likes you?"

Y/N: "Y-yes."

Amber: "Why don't you just go out with her? She seems nice."

Y/N: "You of all people know why I can't. It would put her and her team in danger."

Amber: "Ozpin can't seriously expect you to live your whole life without dating."

Y/N: "It's not his idea."

Amber: "Wait, that's the team we were thinking of getting to join us."

Y/N: "We were considering that. It's not final. They are capable enough, but I don't know if they are ready for what we're up against."

Amber: "We have to decide at some point." I heard the elevator arrive, and saw Ozpin and Glynda on it.

Glynda: "Decide what?"

Y/N: "Whether we actually want to consider expanding our circle."

Ozpin: "I have already decided to bring team RWBY in after the school year closes."

Amber: "Why not sooner? We might need them now."

Ozpin: "Salem's forces appear to have calmed down since the beach."

Y/N: "I think we all know that means she is preparing her next move."

Ozpin: "It is as you said, Y/N. They are not ready."

Y/N: "Well, in any case, the four of us need to be ready." I left to go walk for a bit.

Ruby's Pov

We were playing some of our dumb board games. Yang was kicking our butts again. We all allied to try to beat her, but she was just too lucky with the deck. It was starting to get annoying. 

Ruby: "How? It's not fair!"

Yang: "You're just mad that I keep winning." She looked at her scroll as it beeped. She picked it up and looked at it. She wrote something back. I noticed she looked disappointed.

Wiess: "Who was that?"

Ruby: "*Gasp* Was it Y/N?" I flew around her and tried to get at her scroll. She tried to keep it away from me. As she held it out of my reach, Blake grabbed it before she could react.

Yang: "No! Don't look!" She was a little red.

Blake: "You were right Ruby. She asked him to come and play some games with us. He said he was training. Yang sent back a heart." We all laughed. Yang looked kind of embarrassed.

Ruby: "It's ok sis. I'm just messing with you. Also, I don't know how you expected us not to notice. You constantly go off to annoy him."

Yang: "I know, I just didn't want you all think I was being weird."

Wiess: "We thought you were weird before we saw you doing that."

Yang: "Hey!"

Blake: "I can certainly confirm that." We kept bickering for a little while longer.

Ruby: "But seriously, I don't think he's a bad guy for you. And it helps that we've known him so long."

Blake: "He seems nice enough. I certainly don't think you will be unhappy."

Wiess: "Well, he is still not telling us everything."

Ruby: "I don't think he has a choice. Anyway, I'm not going to be an overprotective sibling. about it. You too would be a cute couple."

Yang: "Well, he said he couldn't do anything until at least the end of the year."

Ruby: "Well then, maybe I should go ask what is so important. He might tell me more, since I'm the leader." I left to go find him. The others tried to do another round, which I knew Yang would win. I found Y/N walking alone. "Hey."

Y/N: "Oh. Do you need something?"

Ruby: "I just need to know if there's anything you can tell me about what you're dealing with."

Y/N: "Ozpin just told me that your team and your team ONLY will be informed at the end of the year about most of this."

Ruby: "Really? Is it something big?"

Y/N: "Yes. But we need more help, and we need it here, from people who won't stick out like a sore thumb like Ironwood's troops."

Ruby: "Wow. You really are some super secret agent then."

Y/N: "You better keep it that way."

Ruby: "I know, I know. Also, we saw what Yang texted you." He flushed a bit, but it wasn't that noticeable.

Y/N: "That was so stupid."

Ruby: "Either way, I think you two would be a cute pair."

Y/N: "Whatever." He turned and walked away.

No Pov

Adam looked at the force of White Fang members he had rounded up. It was almost time. Soon Beacon, a symbol of the world order he hated, would be ash. His people would finally see that they were superior to the humans, and would finally rise up.

Emerald, Mercury, and Hazel finished reporting to Salem. Everything was ready. They had been forced to delay the attack, but that opened new opportunities. Their original plan had been to go in while the students from the other schools were still present. Now that they were gone, there would be far less resistance. 

They had also altered the plan of attack. Instead of simply disabling communications, they would use the tower to display a message from Adam to create panic and chaos among the rest of Remnant. That would lead more Grimm to the kingdoms, leaving them more vulnerable.

The pieces were all in place. Soon the world would change. The question was how successful Salem's forces would be without the Fall Maiden. Without that power, they had no way to find the relic stored at beacon. But if everything else went well, they would hunt her down later once they had control of the area. Either way, they would have a major victory over Ozpin.