Ch 3: The Coming Storm

Y/N's Pov

I really didn't want to say that to her. But unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being friends with anyone, and I certainly can't afford to start making commitments. I know Ozpin said I should, but we know something big is coming, and I can't afford to not be here when it does. Even if that means making everyone hate me, I have to. Someone has to. I pulled out my scroll, and called Ozpin back.

Y/N: "Sorry about that. I'm ready to talk now."

Ozpin: "I was just calling to ask if you think you should be involved in Miss Goodwitch's class, since you don't have a team. I know you are more that capable of handling being alone, but I am uncertain as to whether we should risk having you show any of your full capabilities."

Y/N: "I'm sure we can just have me skip out on most of it. There are only two people here who have any idea I exist, and both of them know I don't have a team."

Ozpin: "Then we will do that. Speaking of which, that sounded like Miss Xiao Long earlier. She sounded suspicious of you-"

Y/N: "I didn't tell her anything. She was just being her usual self."

Ozpin: "Have you taken my advice yet?"

Y/N: "Actually that conversation ended... poorly. I don't think she will be butting into my business anytime soon after that, so there's the biggest problem so far dealt with."

Ozpin: "You really should not just push everyone away."

Y/N: "Yes I should. I can't risk not being ready when you actually do need me. She was asking me to hang out, either with her or her whole team. Neither would be good." I heard an exasperated sigh. I don't understand how this crusty old man seemingly has no sense of urgency at the potential threat to the entire world looming over our heads. "The entire world of people out there we are protecting are worth more than any amount of pain I have to feel. I have power, and that means I have a responsibility to use it. That's something you told me."

Ozpin: "I regret not having taught you that you also need something for yourself if you are ever going to be fulfilled with your life."

Y/N: "What I feel doesn't matter. What matters is what EVERYONE else will feel if I don't do my job. That's more than enough to keep me going. If you don't have anything else to talk about, I would like to go. I need to train."

Ozpin: "You are not going to be able to keep this up forever."

Y/N: "I don't have too. Unlike you, I'll actually stay dead."

Ozpin: "Y/N..."

I hung up. He wasn't going anywhere useful with that.

No Pov

Ozpin leaned back in his chair. He wondered if he had made a mistake. Y/N had clearly internalized his lessons about the responsibility that came with his power, but he had clearly not learned to value his own life outside of it. He saw himself as nothing but a weapon to hurt Salem. Ozpin had hoped that he would break out of that here, but he was clearly doing the opposite. It even sounded like he had just destroyed one of the only friendships he did have.

Small Timeskip

Yang's Pov

I just went back to my team's room. I had no other idea what to do. What started as just me being friendly and maybe a little flirty had ended with him pushing me away again, but this time he really sounded like he meant it. I got back to the dorm, and the rest of my team was there.

Ruby: "Hi Sis! Where were you? Were you talking to someone?"

Yang: "Yes I was, and I would rather not talk about it"