Ch 27: Faces New and Old

No Pov

Classes were going to resume soon. Oscar was in a dorm of his own, wondering how Y/N survived in a storage closet for a year. Ozpin was still worried about his crush on Ruby, but for now it was still small. They all knew that Torchwick was going to be back, but until he made a move they wouldn't be able to find him. 

Ozpin had also finally told team RWBY as much as he told his other allies about Salem, feeling it was long overdue.

Torchwick and Neo had moved hideout. They had previously gotten their hands on a couple of Atlas's mechs, and found that by some incredible stroke of luck they had left one hidden. Team RWBY had already beaten one of these, but they also still had a stock of dust left over from their robberies a year earlier. They had made some modifications and were ready to get their revenge.

Ruby's Pov

We were just hanging out in Vale until an clearly crudely modified Atlas mech burst out of a building. We sprang into action. Blake threw Yang at it and she knocked it back. I sped next to it as Wiess pinned it with a glyph. I tried to get at the pilot seat but then that pink haired girl jumped off the back of it and forced me back. 

She kept shattering and repositioning, but I was still getting more hits in. Training with Y/N had taught me how to deal with an opponent who never stopped moving. Everyone else focused on the mech. It was outputting a massive amount of dust attacks. Wiess was avoiding using her maiden powers, but even then we were doing good damage. 

Eventually Wiess broke off from the mech and helped me take out Neo. With her down, we joined Blake and Yang. The mech fired a huge missile at Yang only for Wiess to use a glyph to redirect it at the robot. The explosion knocked it to the ground and Blake jumped on the pilot seat and cut it open. Yang punched Torchwick unconscious.

Ruby: "Well, guess we need to lock them up harder."

Wiess: "Yeah. Not much else we can do."

Y/N's Pov

I got into Oscar's dorm. This was where we met now, since he was technically a student.

Y/N: "So what's going on?"

Ozpin: "A situation is brewing in Menagerie."

Y/N: "What, the White Fang? I know."

Ozpin: "No. Something else. The White Fang are losing support faster than normal."

Y/N: "Isn't that good?"

Ozpin: "Yes, but it is still worth investigating. We don't know what is causing it."

Y/N: "Alright, I can get there pretty quick. Yang's going to want to come along."

Ozpin: "That is fine with me. Ruby, Blake, and Wiess can stay and train more. Oscar and Wiess both could use all the practice they can get."

Y/N: "Then it will take forever to get there."

Ozpin: "If it takes too long, I can have her come back. You can continue if that happens."

Y/N: "Fine."

Timeskip

We got there without incident. We looked around, and saw nothing too out of the ordinary. The only thing that stuck out was new posters with anti-White Fang slogans and showing a faunus woman named Eve who we guessed was the face of the new opposition. 

She was in charge of a group dedicated to bringing peace to all of Remnant. A little naïve, but nothing too strange yet. There would always be idealists like that around. I called Blake. We didn't bring her because she was somewhat known here.

Y/N: "Blake, you live here. Any idea who that is?" I pointed my camera at the poster.

Blake: "No. Whoever they are, they're new in politics. I wonder how she seems to be so good at it."

We stayed over at an inn the first night and the next day something finally happened. We were looking around and we saw something. We heard a person scream from somewhere secluded only for it to stop. When we got to where we heard it no one was there. There wasn't anything to do so we waited. 

The next day the same thing happened, and I teleported to where it was. I saw the woman from the posters with a bunch of other people. None of them looked distressed, so I left before they noticed me.

Yang: "What was that?"

Y/N: "No idea. I think we need to get a better idea who this Eve and her followers are."

Yang: "So we do a stakeout?"

Y/N: "You stay back in case I need you. I can be stealthy."

Yang: "Alright." 

That night we followed them from the rooftops by having me teleport us around. I teleported to the roof and realized I could hear from there. I heard the sound of them brining in someone by force and that person protesting. I heard someone say it took several of them to detain this person, so whoever they were they were probably a huntsmen. 

I saw a maintenance access panel on the roof. I opened it and no one noticed. It was a large storage building, so I could see what was happening. The person they captured was gagged and tied to a table along with several others. 

I pulled out my scroll and started taking a video. The woman from the posters was calmly walking in between them and putting her hands on each one. They then trashed violently in their bonds and then stopped. Then they were cut loose and allowed to leave. 

One of Ironwood's scientists had created a prototype aura scanning feature to put on our scrolls, so I activated it. There was what looked like hundreds of some kind of aura tether coming from her. When she got to her next victim, I saw a new one forming. 

It looked like she had some kind of mind control semblance, but unlike other documented ones, it didn't just implant a set of instructions. It directly controlled the victim. This was how she was gaining so much influence. She hit influential people who would then publicly support her, in addition to any normal person she happened to get her hands on.

With all of that, I teleported out and closed the hatch. I showed the video to Yang.

Yang: "Wow. We need some backup here. Isn't this, like, super dangerous?"

Y/N: "Yes. It is. Potentially more dangerous than Adam."

Yang: "So what do we do?"

Y/N: "For now, there isn't much we can do. But at some point, she'll hit critical mass and just outright attack Adam. Until then, we need to lay low."

Yang: "Ok, can we please go to bed then? I'm tired." She yawned.

Y/N: "We just found out about a potential threat to the entire world and you aren't even slightly worried? We might be the only ones who can stop them."

Yang: "Yeah, and I learned from you that being afraid isn't usually helpful. Also we need some rest, and I want cuddles." I rolled my eyes. She was right, though. For now we just had to wait, so why not just stay inside and rest. I scolded myself for thinking that. I was on a mission, I had to focus. I just hoped that I could hold it together until we were back at the safety of Beacon. 

We went back to the inn, and I sent the video I took over an encrypted line I had with Ozpin. I included the scanner footage. He texted me back.

Ozpin: 'This is very concerning. Do you need assistance?'

Y/N: 'I'll just pit Adam and her against each other. With any luck, then we can take out the winner.'

Ozpin: 'If you change your mind, I will be here.'

Y/N: 'You will be the first I call if I need help.'

Yang: "Ok, less worrying, more cuddles." She pinned me to the bed and we kissed for a while and fell asleep.