Hardin Chapter 16

⚠️SENSITIVE CONTENT⚠️

(Follow my Instagram Hessatextstories for more)

After watching the snow for a while I get up and walk to my study, I look through my shelf until I see "The Song of Achilles". I grab the book and walk back into the kitchen, instead of going for my usual coffee I make myself a cup of tea. I walk back into the bedroom and sit on Tessas side of the bed and lean my back up against the wall.

She read this book in a day and I've never seen her get so worked up about a book, I find it cute how upset she gets upset about book characters. She treats each story like it's real, as if the characters are alive.

I was working in my study and she burst through the door crying, I thought someone died. I pulled her in my arms and asked her what happened, to my fucking surprise she was crying because of the book. I laughed at her and she got mad at me, to me it was funny but apparently she was "really upset". She's such a baby.

I shake my head before I open the book and turn to the first page.

"NO! STOP!"

I look up from the book.

Who's screaming?

Sam.

I drop the book and quickly leave the room, I run into the guest room and open the door and run inside. I see Sam tossing and turning, I run to her side and gently shake her.

"Sam.............SAM..........wake up........it's just a dream."

Her eyes open and she sits up, she wraps her arms around my neck.

"Hardin?"

"Yes."

She lets go and wipes her tears with her hands, she sniffles.

"I'm sorry." She mumbles.

She attempts to stop crying but more tears just pour out of her eyes.

"It's just a nightmare? Just take a deep breath."

She takes another breath.

"Come with me." I say.

She follows me into the kitchen and sits on the stool, I pour her a glass of water and hand it to her. She takes a few small sips.

"Thank you.............sorry if I woke you up." She says.

"I wasn't sleeping, you're fine kid."

I lean on the counter and cross my arms.

"Do you have nightmares often?" I ask.

She looks down at the floor before she looks up at me.

"Yeah, I thought I could stop them from happening but.......I can't."

She takes another sip of water.

I don't think I ever realized the similarities between Sam and I until now, Tessa would always tease me and say that we were like the same person but I never agreed. I guess she was right..........she's always right.

"What are they about?" I ask.

She shakes her head.

"I don't wanna talk about it." She mumbles.

"Are you sure? I think it will make you feel better if you tell me."

I walk over and sit next to her on a separate stool.

"Ok, but you have to promise not to tell anybody.........not even Tessa."