Hardin Chapter 60

As I hold the most important people in my life in my arms, I can't help but feel an ache in my chest. It's an unsettling sensation that I haven't felt before. It's weird. I don't like hugs, and I only hug Tessa, but something about hugging her and her mom just makes me feel complete like this was something that I was missing and have finally found.

Tessa pulls away first and looks at her mum, who's smiling; she then looks at me before she takes my hands and gently runs her fingers over my knuckles.

"Merry Christmas Eve," Mary says.

I had not realized that it was Christmas Eve; I was so worried about Tessa getting home late that I hadn't realized.

"Merry Christmas Eve." Tessa and I say at the same time.

We look at each other, and both laugh.

"Well, I'm a bit tired; I will head to bed," her mother says, yawning.

"Of course, sweet dreams, Mom," Tessa says before she kisses her mother's cheek.

"Good night, Hardin. Thank you for an amazing day," Mary says as she leans in and kisses my forehead.

I'm stunned. I feel layers of my heart peel away at this simple act. Tessa looks at me, shocked, and I feel tears form in my eyes. I quickly stand.

"Good night, Mary," I say before I leave the room.

I stand outside the door and get together; I overhear them talking.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Tessie. I didn't mean to upset him," her worried mother says.

"No, Mom, don't worry. He........he doesn't have a mom, and he's never really been shown affection other than from me; I think that forehead kiss meant more to him than you know." Tessa reassures.

Her mother gasps.

"That poor sweet boy, I hope he knows that I'll always be there for him. For the both of you."

I can feel the warmth from Mary's voice in my soul.

"Go to sleep, Mommy; we'll see you in the morning," Tessa says.

"Good night, dear."

I hear the light switch off. Seconds later, Tessa enters and closes the door, lighting behind her. She looks up at me through bangs before she tucks her head away.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry. I was not expecting her to do that," she says gently.

"Yes, I'm ok. It felt......nice." I admit.

She smiles at me.

"Let's go to bed?" She asks.

I nod my head, and she takes my hands.

She leads me through the hallway into our bedroom before she closes the door and locks it. She turns around to face me.

"Are you ok?" I ask her.

She bites her bottom lip and closes her eyes before opening them again and looking up at me with her beautiful gaze.

"Yes, just tired and a bit stressed." She admits.

My poor girl.

"Come, baby, let me hold you, and I promise I'll make it better."

She slowly starts to take her clothes off, and before I know it, she is naked in front of me; she climbs into bed and pulls the cover over herself. I take off my clothes and join her under the sheet; I pull her towards me so we are face to face.

She reaches up and traces my nose with her pinky; I close my eyes and enjoy her touch.

"How was your day with my mom?"

"It was actually pretty good. I love your mom, Tess. She walked around and did some shopping and ate food. It was... nice. I've never really had a mom to spend the day with, and it felt really nice."

She smiles at me and scrunches her nose.

"I'm happy you guys had a good time; I missed you." She closes her eyes and rests her head on the pillow.

I prop myself up on my elbow while I watch her.

"How was work?" I ask.

What I really want to know is who was in her office. I don't want to upset her, but I'm curious, and I need to know.

"It was alright." She says.

"Who were you with?  It's been on my mind all day."

Her gaze softens, and she takes my face in her hand.

"His name is Chris."

My body tenses.

"That night, after I found out about the bet, he found me wandering on the road in the snow, and I spent the night at his place. He has a beautiful wife and daughter, Hardin. You have nothing to worry about, I swear. He only came into the office to congratulate me and talk about your book."

I know who he is.

Chris and his wife Daisy are not all sunshine and rainbows like they seem to be. One day, I was in the copy room, and a beautiful woman with dark hair and light eyes walked into the copy room. I had never seen her before, but Jesus, was she hot? She started flirting with me, touching my hand and smiling at me. At that point in my life, I was having sex with any woman I found attractive, and I wanted her. I started playing along until Chris came into the copy room and caught us. Daisy pushed me away and claimed that I was coming onto her, and of course, Chris believed her.

I wasn't fired because there were cameras in the copy room, but that didn't matter because Chris refused to believe the video and has a vendetta against me.

"Hardin? I told you the truth, I swear." She pleads.

I shake my thoughts away.

"I know, baby; I just don't like other men being around you."

She sighs.

"I know, but baby, you will have to come to terms with the fact that I will be around other men. I love you, Hardin, and I only want you forever."

She leans in and kisses me softly, her tiny hands reaching for my face.

I pull away and lift myself so I'm hovering over her; I prop myself up on one arm while I use my free hand to hold her face while I leave in and kiss her deeper. Her hands run up my torso and stop once she reaches my shoulders.

I lean in and kiss her deeper while slowly introducing my tongue. Her hands wrap around my shoulders, and she squeezes me. I break our kiss, rest my forehead on hers, and watch her.

"Hardin? Are you alright, baby?" She asks in her innocent voice.

I lift my face from hers to look at her whole face.

"You're so beautiful," I tell her.

Her cheeks flush with pink and red.

"Hardin." She whispers.

I run my nose over her jawline.

"Let me make love to you tonight. I don't want to go fast or hard; I just want to hold you and kiss you.

Let me make love to you, Tessa. " I beg her.

She nods her head.

I bring my lips to hers and slowly take her in; her hands grip my shoulders and pull me closer so that I'm lying on top of her. I grab the back of her neck, run my fingers through her hair, and use my other hand to spread her thighs.