2 : Insecure

----------

----------

"Mother! That prat just put pink hair dye in my shampoo! I look like a bloody pink-haired troll!" accused Draco, pointing a shaky finger at the platinum-haired girl.

"Did not!" lied Y/N, stuffing the pink hair dye further in her pocket. "Well, I mean it wasn't my fault- Pansy gave me the idea-"

"Shhh!" scowled Pansy. "It wasn't entirely my fault- besides, you should thank me for your new makeover, hot pink doesn't suit you but-

"Y/N, Pansy." said Narcissa with a small shake of her head. "It's alright, Draco, we can simply fix it with magic." she said, pulling out her wand.

"But- But she just- I smell favouritism." said Draco grumpily as his mother muttered incantations under her breath, turning his hair back to it's normal state.

"Just realised that now, lil bro?" snickered Y/N, ruffling her brother's hair. "Took you long enough."

"Just because you were born two minutes earlier than me doesn't make me your little brother." said an annoyed Draco. "I absolutely despise the both of you."

"Oh bite me, Malfoy."

"Love you too, lil bro."

----------

"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" scoffed Ron as a certain platinum-haired girl stepped into their compartment.

"All the compartments are full." said a familiar voice, making Hermione's heart leap, her eyes immediately moving up to see the figure now sitting down on the opposite side of her.

Y/N didn't spare the bushy haired girl a glance as she cleared her throat and scanned the room, noticing an unfamiliar person sitting next to the raven-haired boy. The girl had dark, pretty silky hair. The platinum-haired girl swiped her tongue over her bottom lip as she eyed her down, taking notes of every curve that the girl had.

"Keep gawking at me and flies would eventually enter your mouth." said the girl with a confident smirk. "Enjoying the sight, no?" she mused out, letting out a small giggle.

Hermione glared at the two girls, her face contorting in fury as a pang of jealousy hit her and pooled in her stomach uncomfortably. She let out a scowl as she began to scribble down on her journal.

September 1st, 1994

I just boarded the Hogwarts Express and I already feel sick, and I know damn well that I'm not train sick.

Y/N is sitting right on front of me, shamelessly flirting with Katherine, my friend! Could you believe how insolent she is? But that doesn't explain why I feel jealous.

Personally, I don't think it's completely my fault for still missing Malfoy. After all, how could you not miss someone that you've been friends with ever since first year? It's basically logic.

But...But perhaps I'm just truly attached, even though I don't want to admit such a thing. Because just when I think I'm over her, I smell a certain scent that reminds me so much of her and my heart flutters, I'd see someone wearing her favourite pair of shoes and my stomach drops, I'd hear a laugh just like hers, and my eyes would suddenly start swarming with tears.

I miss her. I've told Ron, Harry and Katherine that I'm completely over her and that she doesn't even cross my mind. But my heart aches for her love. I crave her attention, I long for her sweet words and the glances we would share in class. Bit pathetic, right?

Sometimes, I wish I never met her. Of course I cherish the good times we had, the times when she actually liked me, but I start to think how simple my life would be if she never entered it.

I think the reason that I missed her so much is because she wasn't like the others. You see, I've always been quite self conscious and insecure about myself, especially when I first came to Hogwarts. I was a little girl that had no clue where she was going, that's probably why I read so much before school even started, I just wanted to fit in.

And Y/N made me feel like I belonged with them, she made me feel okay of my blood-status, she'd reassure me that it was alright if I wasn't the best at everything and that the reason definitely wasn't because I was a muggle-born. But that didn't last for too long.

I've noticed that she got prettier as she grew up. Her jawline is much sharper, her cheeks are a bit hollowed, but her hair is still floppy as always. But I also noticed that she looked quite stress and anxious, the dark circles under her eyes were a dead give away. But I think she looks effortlessly beautiful as always.

Oh my god, here I go again. I really should stop fussing over someone that isn't even in my life anymore.

She probably looks at other girls, just like the way she looked at Katherine, and thinks about why she had wasted so much time on me.

After all, she's Y/N Malfoy. She's pretty and talented, everyone fawns over her. She's almost close to perfection.

And then look at Katherine, who wouldn't want to be with her? She's effortlessly pretty, perfect curvy body, sparkling eyes, glistening skin and silky hair, and can basically charm anyone that she wanted.

And me? Bushy hair, tad bit too skinny for anyone's liking, rather large front teeth, petty and basically scolds and complains non-stop. Who would choose me over Katherine, someone who's just like Y/N, perfect in every way from head to toe.

God, why do I even bother? It's not like I care about whom she loves. It's not like I even care about her existence. I don't care.

But as Hermione wrote down that last part and flickered her eyes up, she was met with familiar cold grey ones for a brief moment. And just like those dramatic scenes in a movie, time seemed to stop at the blissful second, the spark in their eyes remained, as though they never left in the first place.

And Hermione swore to Merlin that she saw Y/N's mouth slightly twitching, the sides of her eyes crinkling slightly as though trying to hide the grin that they always used to share, and that sparked something in Hermione.

Hope.

----------