Chapter 4

Shoto pulled Gwen's body close, snuggling into her warmth as he slept peacefully. His quiet snores filled the silence in the house, his chest sluggishly rising and falling with each breath he took.

The warm sunlight of the late morning leaked through the closed blinds as Gwen slept peacefully, too deep in her dreams to notice Shoto's presence.

He drew in a sharp breath before he opened his soft heterochromatic hues and released the warm air. A small smile appeared on his lips as he kissed her head, "If only..." He whispered to himself.

Gwen opened her eyes a bit, her brain slowly processing her surroundings. Her eyes widened as it hit her. "Shit-..." she whispered, rolling onto her back and sitting up. "Damn it, I'm such an idiot-" she facepalmed, closing her eyes. "How could I let myself fall asleep?"

"I wasn't the only one who was tired last night." He croaked, rolling onto his back and looking up at her.

She jumped, looking over at him. "-And... you're awake-..." she huffed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean too-... I just kinda passed out-"

"There's nothing to apologize for. I should be the one apologizing for causing you trouble."

"You didn't cause me any major trouble," she turned to face him. "I mean; you're my friend..." she looked up to meet his gaze, soon getting lost in his heterochromatic eyes. "And friends look out for each other..."

"Yeah...Friends..." He thought aloud, his heart aching from her words.

Friends.

It was better than nothing, but being so close and not able to love her pained him. He forced a weak smile, still not feeling great.

She made herself look away from him. "On that note, is there anything else you need before I go?"

He reluctantly shook his head, "No. Thank you though, Gwendolyn..." Something was clearly wrong as he said her full name, but not wanting to talk about it.

She looked back up at him when he said her full name, a shocked expression in her eyes. She opened her mouth to speak, sitting still for a moment before deciding against it. She looked back down as she slid off the bed, standing up and walking towards his bedroom door. She placed her hand on the doorknob, hesitating for a moment before looking back up at him. "If you need anything, don't be afraid to text me, okay?" She gave him a kind smile, hiding the conflicting feelings underneath.

He nodded before laying back down and rolling over to face away from her, battling his own emotions within.

She sighed sadly, exiting the room and closing the door behind her. She managed to keep it together until she got home, her parents still gone, leaving her with an empty house. She curled up on her bed, her cat, bean, jumping up next to her. She stroked the feline, sighing again. "Why do emotions have to be so complicated?" She asked her cat. He meowed in response, curling up next to Gwen to comfort his person.

A small white kitten jumped up onto Shoto's bed, climbing on top of his pillows and sitting on his head. "Pft." He tried to blow the kitten's tail away from his mouth with little success. "Thanks Mochi. You're a real big help." He sarcastically grumbled.

The small feline climbed across him to be face to face with him; her tiny wet nose brushing against his skin as she sniffed his nose. She gave him gentle "kisses" (aka licks) across his face, a purr resonating from within her.

He reached up to gently stroke the cat, "I love you too."

"Meow~" she sat down and looked at him expectantly as if asking him what was wrong.