Chapter 28

After Shoto left, Gwen settled down on the couch. Sleep soon took hold of her and morning came before she'd've liked. She woke up early and was able to get the glass cleaned up off her bedroom floor before she had to get ready for school; taking all the letters, the brick, and the photos and putting them in her closet along with Shoto's varsity jacket. 

The day went by fairly quickly, partially because she was so out of it. She didn't get to see Shoto all day, since he and the rest of the football team were getting ready for the game. 

Before she knew it, she was in her cheer uniform hyping up the crowd before the game. The first half went fairly well, with their team a good amount ahead of their opponents.

But then the dreaded halftime came.

"Shoto!" She called over the noise, pulling him aside into the locker room entryway as Kirishima ran out in the mascot costume. "I need to tell you something-"

"What's up?" He asked, with a beaming grin.

Her heart ached as she spoke, but she didn't have much time so she had to be blunt. 

"I'm breaking up with you."

He froze, confusion overwhelming him as his face fell. "Wait, what?"

"I'm breaking up with you." She repeated. "We can't see each other anymore, as lovers or as friends."

"Why? Was it something I said?" A tidal wave of emotions crashed over him, his voice cracking as he fought back tears.

"No, it's not y-"

Gwen was quickly dragged away by the rest of the cheer squad as they ran out onto the field. They flawlessly executed their routine, and the crowd went wild for the big toss.

After halftime was over, Shoto stumbled out onto the field, his brain clouded with questions of why. He couldn't think straight.

As soon as the routine was done Gwen left, rushing home and into her house; locking herself in her room.