Chapter 43

Ravyn's chest rose and fell in sync with Katsuki's as she snuggled closer into his side.

Sho pulled Gwen into his chest, the pair passed out on a chair nearby.

A knock sounded on the door, waking Katsuki. "May we come in?"

"Yeah." Katsuki replied.

Gwen opened her eyes in time to see her parents enter, fully dressed in their lab coats.

"We have some news about your friends." Her mom solemnly spoke.

Ravyn pressed her nose into Kat for a moment before rolling over to look at the doctors with groggy eyes. "Hm?"

Shoto's face scrunched up for a moment before he opened his hues and directed his attention to Gwen's parents.

"There were 23 of you that went out, correct?" Gwen's mother made her way over to the hospital bed.

Kat nodded. "Correct."

"And could you describe the truck that hit you and how fast you were all going?"

"We were at the speed limit... we came around a corner and saw headlights... then I realized they were on the wrong side of the road, and they were huge..." he sighed sadly. "Before most of them could get out of the way, that semi just plowed through everyone. Didn't even try to stop or avoid us."

Gwen sat up. "Wait, you never said it was a semi-"

Kat nodded. "A giant yellow one. Luckily I was more towards the back of the group, so I was mostly able to evade it... most of my injuries are from going into the gravel and losing control."

Gwen's mom nodded, and her father took notes.

"I think Christian and rose were the ones who called 911, because they were the last in the group. I remember pulling myself out from under my bike and hearing rose's voice on the phone telling someone her name, what had happened, and our location." He closed his eyes. "Luckily, because the side of the road we were on, we didn't end up going over the edge of the cliff, we were all thrown against the rock. The truck, on the other hand, just barreled right off that curve and down the cliff."

"Serves that son of a gun right." Ray and Shoto growled.

"That matches our injury and autopsy repor-"

"Autopsy-?" Kat interrupted.

Gwen's mother heasitated for a moment. "Not all of the 24 people involved in the accident survived."

Ray's eyes watered again, "Who died-?" Her voice shook.

Gwen's father spoke up. "Denki Kaminari, Lucas Luck, Salem Schmidt, and Skylar Wilkes were all pronounced dead at the scene. Griffin Fitzpatrick, Blake Alcock, and Noah Williams all died from their injuries. Pretty much everyone else has severe injuries that aren't fatal or they've got bad road burn. For example, Christian Miller, Rose Blachette, Evelyn cooper, and Carson Huston were pretty much unscathed, whereas the others are still receiving medical treatment. We don't quite know their exact conditions, but we do know a good chunk of them have had to have amputations or have permanent damage such as paralyzation."

Ravyn's gut twisted in knots and she suddenly felt sick to her stomach. Lucas had been one of her closer friends and she didn't know how Brandon was. Blood pounded in her ears as salty tears slid down her cheeks.

"You and Ejiro Kirishima are friends, correct?"

Katsuki nodded.

"I figured you'd like to know that he's okay. He did have a dislocated shoulder, but other than that he's fine."

Her mother sighed. "Is there anyone else you'd like to know about?"

"Brandon Davidson?" She choked out.

"Ryan Adamson and Ash Browning." Sho added.

Gwen's father checked his clipboard, frowning after a moment. "Brandon is alive, but he lost his right leg."

Gwen's eyes widened. "But his football scholarship!"

He nodded sadly. "It really is a shame." He checked his list again, scanning for a moment before looking to Shoto. "Ash and Ryan, you said?"

He nodded as Ray curled up into a ball.

"Ash has a broken arm and will most likely need a hip replacement of some kind, and Ryan has broken legs and a major concussion, as well as a fractured skull."

"What about Cliff Hanger and Preston LeCroix?"

"Preston has a few broken ribs, his neck was broken as well, but he's alive. Cliff also had a few broken ribs, a broken nose, and he lost an eye."

Sho nodded. "How's Ash doing though? I know he hates hospitals."

"He's doing well."

"That's good but surprising..." He mumbled, soon thanking her as sobs racked Ravyn's body.

Gwen got up, walking over and embracing ray. "It's gonna be okay, ray. Lucas was my friend too." Gwen sniffed. "Skylar and I didn't always get along, but I would have considered her a friend. We've all lost someone tonight. You're not alone."

Ravyn cried into her friend's shoulder. "Th-Those who surv-v-vived...Their lives-" She couldn't even finish her sentence before continuing to shower Gwen in tears.

Kat sat up, doing his best to embrace ray as well.

Sho soon got up and joined the group hug, a small smile appearing on his lips even though his heart ached from the loss of their friends. It had been too long since the four of them banded together like this.