Chapter 48

Gwen sat in the exam room, checking her phone while she waited for the doctor. Soon enough she heard a knock.

"Come in." She put her phone in her pocket as the doctor entered.

"Hiiii, how are you Gwendolyn?" Her doctor smiled as she entered, giving her a friendly wave.

"I'm good, just a bit tired."

"How's the husband?" She asked, sitting down on her rotating stool.

"He's doing good too."

"I have to quickly ask you this, as a friend, but why didn't the insurance pass? This appointment is covered by the state, but is everything alright?"

Gwen's face fell. "I got laid off today."

"Oh no, I'm so sorry!"

"This is just how life is."

The doctor nodded, getting up and walking over to the exam table. "Just here for your annual check-up, correct?"

Gwen nodded as the doctor began to check her ears and eyes. She quickly went through the rest of the normal checkup procedures, and the doctor furrowed her brow. "Do you mind if we do some labs on you today?"

Gwen raised an eyebrow. "What kind?"

"Blood work. I'm seeing some signs that could be multiple things... most of which are terminal."

Gwen's heart dropped. "Yeah, of course."

"And you're on birth control, right? Are you taking any other meds or have you in the last 24 hours?"

"Yeah I am, and I took some ibuprofen yesterday for a headache."

"Do you have any allergies?"

"No."

"I'll put in the request for labs, you go ahead and head over to the other side of the clinic."