Chapter 58

Gwen tried to be quiet as she unlocked the apartment door and entered. She squeezed in and locked the door behind her, setting her purse down on the floor.

Shoto tapped his foot on the floor. "How was your night?" His voice sounded forcefully happy.

"It was fine...?" She turned to him, raising an eyebrow. "Shouldn't you be asleep? You have school in the morning-"

"Yeah well, I found something earlier. And I'm not sure why it wasn't with you."

"What's going on? Is everything okay?"

"I don't know, is it? I mean, you left your wedding ring here."

"I what-?"

"And you know, a few friends and I went out to eat at Hooters. And you know who I saw?"

"Who...?"

"Our waitress was someone named Gwendolyn and you know what. She looked just. Like. You. Care to explain?"

"I work at Olive Garden..." she looked at him like he was crazy. "And I forgot my wedding ring because I took it off to clean it, and I was late to work so I forgot to put it back on before I rushed out the door..."

"Ok then. So I decided to do the laundry the other day because I was all out of shirts, and you know what? I didn't see your uniform."

"Uniform?"

"You know, for Olive Garden? When you were out on a play date with Charlie, Zack and Ray?"

"I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Cut the crap, Gwen."

"What crap...?"

"I mean if you have nothing to hide, then you wouldn't mind me looking in your bag would you?"

She hesitated. "S-sure, go ahead-"

"Before I find anything, do you have something you'd like to share with me, Love?"

She paused. "S-so what if I work at Hooters?! It pays the bills. It puts food on the table. Your part -time shift could never entirely support us!"

"Maybe not but couldn't you have found another job?!"

"I tried. No one else would hire me! And might I ask why you were there in the first place?!?"

"I was just going to hang out with some of my school friends after studying, have a couple beers. But that's beside the point! We're in this together Gwen!"

"You were DRINKING?!? AND THEN YOU WENT AND PICKED UP OUR DAUGHTER?!?"

He ran his hands through his hair. "Do I look drunk? I'm not that stupid teenage boy anymore!"

"That doesn't change the fact that you were out drinking on a school night!"

"What does it matter, as long as I'm being responsible?!"

She huffed. "But what if you weren't? What if you had gotten drunk and crashed your car and left Charlotte and I all alone to fend for ourselves in the world?!?"

"You know I'd never let that happen."

"Alright, maybe you wouldn't. But you were still at Hooters!"

"You know I only have eyes for you Gwen."

"Then why did you even go?! Everyone knows their food is shit."

"Because I was just hanging out with some friends! It wasn't my idea!"

"Alright, then why was Brandon with you?!? I thought he said he was staying away from alcohol after the accident!"