Chapter Seventy Seven

A/N Just want to make a quick note that this story is going to be more character development etc rather than the plot to do with the school, 'Spider Man' and the drugs etc. It is going to pop up, briefly, as I feel I now have to finish that part of the plot, but this will mainly start focusing more on the characters and their developments from now on. Hopefully this is okay! Thank you for reading and coming on this journey with me <3

Chapter Seventy Seven
Sang

My phone vibrating in my pocket stirs me from sleep. I blink my eyes open, confused. Sean lays beside me, fast asleep, lips parted, hair mused. He looks peaceful. I wish I had my camera nearby to take a photo.

The vibrating stops before starting back up again. I sigh, shifting so I can pull it from my back pocket. Once I have it free I look at the screen, seeing 'Dad' lit up on it. Suddenly my throat tightens up a little but I close my eyes, take a deep breath and slide my thumb across the screen before bringing the phone to my ear. "Hi Dad." My voice is quiet, quieter compared to what it has been the last few days.

He's silent on the phone for a few seconds before saying, "Hi Sang. How have you been?"

"Yeah, okay..." I trail off and start worrying on my bottom lip. A hand coming up to my face, a thumb stroking along my bottom lip and pulling it free has me turning my head, my green eyes meeting Sean's beautiful green ones. He gives me a reassuring smile. "How have you been?" I ask, my voice coming on stronger now.

"Yeah, busy. I've just sold a major piece of software I've been working on." I nod my head, like he can see me. But I can say anything he quietly says, "I really like hearing your voice, Sang. I realised before I called, that I've only ever texted you. I'm proud of you."

A smile curls at my lips. "Thank you, Dad," I whisper. I clear my throat, feeling my emotions bubble there, making it feel right. "You're not going to be home tomorrow, are you?" I ask.

He sighs down the phone. "No. Another week, I think. When I return though, which I will be, I've made sure of it, we really need to talk."

"Okay." It's all I can say. I don't want to ask questions over the phone. I get the feeling that he really wants to say whatever it is in person. "One week?" I ask, just to confirm.

"Yes. Next Sunday evening." Sean pulls his phone from his pocket and I watch as he brings up his messages. "I've got to go. I'll check in throughout the week. I love you, Sang."

Before I have a chance to reply, he hangs up and I press my lips together. Baby steps. So many tiny little baby steps. Things are getting better; he's never called me before, has only ever texted me. That's how we've communicated for years, since I got my first cell phone. Before then it had been paper and pen. It's progress. Worry does have my stomach twisting, what could he possibly want to talk with me about?

"They're on their way back," Sean says. "Let's go downstairs and choose a takeout to order."

"Indian," I mutter, pulling my phone away from my ear. I slide it back into the pocket of my jeans once I'm standing from the bed.

"Indian it is."

Sean takes my hand and we go downstairs and into the kitchen. I find a takeout menu for an Indian restaurant and we look it over, making lists of what we want before Sean calls in places the order. I go into the laundry room with my bag while he does that and put a load of dirty clothes into the washer. Once that's done I just start pottering about, wiping down surfaces, doing something that really doesn't need doing but it's something that kills the time.

Sean watches me potter about with a smile on his face. "What?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Nothing."