Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One
Sang

My eyes blink open, something waking me. I sit up on the sofa, placing my feet on the floor right next to wear Gabriel sleeps peacefully. Looking towards the window, I see that the sun is just starting to rise. It's still pretty early, but for the life of me I can't think of what it was that woke me.

Standing up, I ignore the achy pain in my shoulder as I make my way to the living room door. Pulling it open, I immediately start hearing hushed whispers.

"Be quiet," someone murmurs. "It's still early, there's no need for them to wake up yet."

"Shut the fuck up, Ray," another whisper shouts from the kitchen.

I hesitantly make my way to the kitchen, keeping my footsteps light. I shiver, wrapping my arms around myself. I don't feel in danger, my instincts normally able to make me aware of danger one way or another.

Rounding the corner, I come to a stop when I see Marc and Raven setting up something on the kitchen counter. "What are you doing?"

"Shit. Fuck." Raven spins around and glares at me. "You scared the dump out of me."

I cover my giggle with my hand. I'm not even going to try and correct him on this one. But then, he's not wrong. Even if I corrected him, it would still mean the same thing. My eyes go to Marc. "Again, what are you doing?" I ask.

He picks something up off of the floor, placing it on the breakfast bar. I move forward so I can see what it is. "A coffee machine?"

"This isn't just any coffee machine," he says proudly. "This is the best coffee machine. I can't be spending as much time here as I am going to be, without good coffee. So I ordered one last night, and it came like twenty minutes ago—thank you to whomever invented 'early next day delivery'. I wanted to set it up ready for breakfast," Marc explains in a rush.

I point to the box. "That can't stay here. Dad will see it and ask questions."

Marc grins, shaking his head. "I'll take out before he comes back. But for the next few days I'm going to be here, and I'm going to need my coffee."

"Fair enough, make yourself at home," I say it as a general comment, not a sarcastic one. He has a point, and I want them to be comfortable while they're here. I pick my camera up off of the kitchen counter. "I'm going upstairs to work on some edits for a bit. Give a yell when breakfast is here."

"Will do," Marc calls, making me smile.

I go upstairs and straight into the spare room where my desk has been set up. I want to print off these pictures from yesterday before going to school, so that I can take my camera with me.

Sitting down in my desk chair, I start my laptop up, typing in my password a few seconds later. Loading the SD card into the laptop, I wait for the program to load, the photos transferring a second later.

I start flicking through them, sending my favorites to print even before editing. Mr Blackbourne sleeping and the cloud shaped like a heart, followed by Marc's frown and then his smile. I don't stop until I have a dozen pictures sitting in the tray of my printer.

Thinking that I want to print the photo of Dr Green drinking a bottle of water, while listening to something Brandon was saying, I scroll through the file. Just to double check that I'm printing the correct photo, I open the file and what comes up on the screen completely surprises me, taking my breath away.

It's a picture of Luke and I. I'm straddling his lap with my arm curled around my stomach, my other hand resting on his chest as I look down at him and he looks up at me, lost in each other's eyes.