Chapter Eighty One

Chapter Eighty One
Sang

Turned out that North wanted Luke so he could start bringing the broken wood out into the main space of the church...diner...whatever it's called. Currently it's still a church. A church that's been ripped apart but a church nonetheless.

Luke was right also. The others had removed their shirts and were sweaty, the dust clinging to their skin. I stared a lot, and then I took some pictures. I found some portable spot lights with a bunch of tools so I asked Silas to move them for me. I turned them on, which made the space brighter. Then I turned off the main lights. The beaming portable lights really lit up all the dust particles in the air. When Marc and North realised what I was doing, they smirked and then continued on with their task of lifting the hammer and pulling out the last of the cupboards.

I snapped away with my camera, figuring out the best angles with such a bright light to work with. I couldn't wait to see how the pictures turned out later. These boys have become my favourite thing to photograph, that's for sure. I would happily spend the rest of my life doing this.

Before I knew it, the kitchen was completely clear apart from the broken down stove which North said he'll disconnect tomorrow. Luke started sweeping the floors and Marc pulled down the old curtains from the window. North heads outside to call Uncle to let him know that they were ready for a skip and that the kitchen was done. Silas comes over to me, takes my camera from my hand and then takes a picture of me that I was not at all ready for. "Ready to head back?" He asks.

I reach for the camera, taking it from him and he's quick to wrap his arm around me, pulling my body in close to his. I sigh at the contact, a happy sigh that I just simply can't hold back. "Yes."

Silas smirks and then picks me up, his hands coming under my thighs. I let out a squeak of surprise, my arms going around his shoulders, my legs tightening around his waist. He laughs, tucks his arm under my butt and then carries me out of the kitchen. "You're so cute."

I laugh, clutching my camera in my hand as I hide my face in his neck. Beneath the sweat and dust, I can smell the ocean scent that always clings to him. "If you say so."

"I do say so, Aggele." He walks through the church until we're outside. I spot North leaning against his jeep, phone at his ear. But Silas doesn't stop, or even head towards the jeep. Instead he carries me around the side of the building and into the shadows. Night is falling and soon it'll be completely dark. He comes to a stop, my back meeting the wall of the church.

I pull back and meet his dark eyes. He looks sad, worried, and torn as he looks back at me. "What's worrying you, Silas?"

I know the answer, but I want him to talk to me. "My Dad." I nod my head and say nothing, waiting for him. If he wants to talk with me about it, he can. Kota assured me that he's not going anywhere. I have to believe that Owen has a plan, one that will work. Does Silas not know that Owen won't let him go anywhere? That any of us don't and won't let him leave? "My brother...he...he killed my Mom."

A gasp escapes me.

"It was a freak accident, but he killed my Mom and he's...I wouldn't say out of control but he..." he trails off, his eyes now looking at me but a little spaced out too. I bring my hand to his face, cupping his cheek. "He's depressed, full of guilt and self hate. Mr B and North convinced my father to move here but my father did it thinking it would help Theo. If anything he's got worse and now it's coming to this."

"Oh Silas," I whisper. "You're not going anywhere. I promise."

"I'm not eighteen yet," is all he says as he blinks, bringing his eyes back into focus.