Chapter Thirty Seven

Sang

We managed to get the boys out of the house by going over the roof, jumping off the porch roof, and running into the woods. When my father emerged from his room after his shower, Corey and me went downstairs, and I showed him out.

It's like they were never here.

I went back to my room for a bit, and did some reading before editing some photos on my laptop. I even printed off the pictures of Corey and Raven, and then the group one of the three of us, before putting them in the photo album 'Capturing Them'.

Now I'm in the spare room, wondering what I can do with the space. When we moved in, Dad had said that I could use this room for whatever I wanted. There's some boxes in the corner that I know contain photos I've taken—ones that I had put in frames and on canvases, but I need to paint the walls first.

The yellow-green color of the walls are not that pretty, and the carpet is worn and tattered. The window faces out to the front of the house, and the only furniture in here is an old bookshelf of mine.

Going downstairs, I go out and into the garage. In the last house we lived in, Dad was getting ready to paint the family room, but then he was offered the transfer and we moved. I know he brought paint, but I'm not sure what color. I just need to find it.

I'm careful of using my arm while moving things, but sometimes I do have to grit my teeth and bear it. There isn't much in here, but old furniture, boxes of tools, and other things my dad has collected over the years, but never uses. It's a typical man's garage, if I'm honest.

When I find the paints, I look at the colors. White, red, and even a purple. I pick up the white tub and carry it into the house, placing it on the kitchen counter. Dad pauses what he's doing on his laptop, and looks at the can of paint, before looking up to me. "Can I use this?" I ask quietly.

"Yes, sure. What for?"

"Spare bedroom," I answer him.

He stares at me for a long moment before standing up. "Do you want to paint it together? I have a few hours before I have to leave."

His question takes me by surprise. I look to the paint and then to him. Suddenly, my Mom's words come back to me; 'He'll meet you halfway', she had said, and I nod my head. "Yeah, Dad. I'd like that."

He smiles at me, and it reaches his eyes. I haven't seen that smile since Mom died.

xXx

We paint the whole room. I do the best I can, and grit my teeth a lot. When dad asks if I'm okay, I just tell him that it's a stomach ache because my period has made an appearance. He doesn't ask me if I'm alright again. Instead, he keeps sending me for small breaks.

When he leaves to shower, I do the same, but decide to take a bath. I run the water until the bath is half full before getting in. I don't sit back in the water, even if I desperately want too. I don't want to get the bandage on my shoulder wet.

A knock on the door startled me a while later. "I'm leaving, Sang. I've left the credit card on the side, cash for the installation of the security system, and I've transferred your allowance into your account. Call me if you need me," Dad calls through the door.

"Okay," I respond, so that he knows I heard him.

He doesn't say anything else, but I can see him still standing there through the small strip under the door. I hold my breath, waiting. Nothing happens, and a minute later he leaves.

I bring my knees up and wrap my arms around my legs, resting my head on my knees. I wish I knew why he had hesitated to walk away. I close my eyes, all of sudden feeling drained and tired.