Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven
Kota

She's avoiding looking in our direction. Her shoulders are hunched up and tense, and from here I can see her jaw clenching, fighting the urge. My eyes flick back over to the girl who just dropped herself into North's lap. She's no longer there now, in fact North shoved her off him and onto the grass before her weight could even settle on him.

As the girl glares at North, wiping loose grass from her extremely short skirt, North's eyes move across the yard, settling them on Sang for a brief moment before looking to me, silently pleading.

"What the hell, North?" The girl cries.

"Go the fuck away, Jade. I've told you I'm not interested." North mutters, his eyes moving back to Sang. I look around the group to find them all watching her so I push myself to my feet, wiping my hands on the back on my jeans. I don't say anything as I move around the circle and start heading in her direction.

Pushing up my glasses, I observe her; her long blonde hair is hanging down her back and on either side of her face, her glasses sitting perfectly on her nose. Her clothes are too big for her small frame and I know Gabe has already said he wants to take her shopping and style her hair.

I breathe in a deep breath before sitting down next to her, raising my knees and loosely letting my arms hang around them. I see her shoulders bunch up more, tensing and I know she's registered my presence. Her head slowly turns in my direction and when her brilliant green eyes meet mine, I push my glasses up my nose and offer her a smile. "Hi, I'm Kota." Her eyes narrow, flicking over my shoulder before coming back to meet mine. "Sang, right?"

She jerks her head in a nod. Off course, I'm not expecting her to reply. I would love to know what her voice sounds like though; probably small and delicate like how she looks, sweet and gentle. She turns her head and focuses back on her camera. My lips purse and I wonder for a moment what to say. I'm not really one to talk to girls often and when I do, it's always in a professional manner.

I look back over at my group of friends and they're watching me expectantly. Jade, the girl, she's gone now. That gives me something to go on at least. "That girl, she means nothing to North." I say, turning back to look at her.
Her wide eyes find mine once again.

I keep talking. "It's our first day here; that girl has been chasing North since he stepped foot onto the premises. She thinks because he's going to be on the football team and she's a cheerleader, they need to date, but North isn't interested." I'm not sure what I'm saying, I'm just letting the words spill from my mouth and hope they make sense.

A couple of years ago, we met a team where there was one bird and five dogs –The Anderson Team- and it's something we thought about for a few months, only bringing it up on occasions, asking random questions about it. Then one day, about six months ago, we came to the agreement that what the Anderson team has is something that we could possibly be interested in when it comes to a relationship. Of course, we'll be older and wiser, not that we aren't already; for our age, we're really mature – My Mom is always telling us to be kids now and again, and we do, sometimes.
Anyway, that's what we agreed and I wonder for a moment if maybe Sang could be the one.

Would she agree to such a relationship? Would she be even interested in it, or us for that matter? I push the thoughts away. It's not something to think about now and besides, we all need to agree on that one bird – her I secretly hope. But it can't be just all of us interested in her, she has to be interested in us. Mr Blackbourne asked for us to become her friend because she doesn't speak and the last thing we want is to worry about any type of bullying, especially on a small girl like herself, but could it be more then that?