Chapter Twenty Three

Sang

I watch as Dr Green pulls his phone from his pocket, his thumb moving over the screen so fast it's almost a blur. It vibrates a second later and he nods before putting the phone back into his pocket. His wonderful green eyes meet mine. "We have to hide. Someone is coming to get us out of here."

His hand finds mine, and he pulls me towards the bathroom stalls. I realise we're in the men's bathroom and that it's empty. Looking at Dr Green's face, I figure he must have known this.

He pulls me into a stall in the far corner and closes the door, locking it behind him. I try to look anywhere but at him, but the small enclosure doesn't give me anywhere to look, not with him pressed against the door and me standing in the small space between him and the toilet.

Needing something to do, I close the toilet seat and sit down, keeping my eyes on the floor. "Who's coming?" I whisper. "What's happening? What are we doing?" The questions fly from my mouth in a fast flow.

Dr Green crouches down in front of me and for the first time, I realise his attire. It's not something I've grown used to seeing him wear at school. He's in casual light blue jeans and a white v-neck t-shirt with black zip up hoodie and sneakers on his feet. It's different and it does nothing to change how gorgeous he is.

I try not to blush at my thoughts, but it's useless. Thankfully, his hands come up and cup my face, lifting my eyes to his as he does. "Calm down, please. Everything will work out, I promise."

I shake my head. It's not really an answer. Before I can say anything else he says, "One of the others are going to come with a back pack. They're going to slide it into this stall, and inside will be a change of clothes for us both. We need to get out of here unnoticed and without a tail. Do you understand?"

I do, so I nod my head, his hands on my cheeks moving with the motion. "What are you doing here anyway?" He asks.

I swallow, licking my lips before saying, "My dad brought me here to get a new camera and printer." The emotions I was feeling before hit me hard on the chest. "Then he told me he was going on a business trip tomorrow night. Another one."

"Oh, Sang," he whispers.

"I talked to him," I tell him. "Before I walked away, I spoke to him." His eyebrow rises to his hairline in surprise. "I haven't spoke to him since I was a little girl."

Dr Green gives me a small smile, his thumb softly stroking my skin beneath my eye. "Was he surprised?" He asks.

"I wish I had caught it on camera." My voice is soft. I lick my lips and my heart drums harder in my chest when I see that his eyes watch the movement intently. "It's you though, all of you."

He frowns, a look of confusion coming across his handsome face. "What do you mean?"

"I built walls up around my heart, and put myself in a shell a long time ago." My voice is just above a whisper. I raise my hands to his and lace our fingers together. I shouldn't do it. He's my teacher. But I can't help myself. "You're making the shell crack and the bricks crumble with every smile you all send my way, with each word you speak to me. It's you, all of you."

Something shines in his eyes, and I find myself unable to look away. "Is that a good thing?" He asks, the loudness of his voice matching my own.

I realize his face is moving closer to mine, or I'm moving closer to his. I'm not sure what I'm doing, or what he's doing. But the feel of his breath whisper across my face causes my heart to hammer in my chest. Our noses skim, just the smallest of touches. "I haven't decided yet," I tell him truthfully.