Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine
Sang

"These cameras, how do they actually work?" I ask, standing in the doorway of my room as Silas, Kota, and Victor put in some cameras. I'm asking these questions because, hello, this is my room. I change in this room and in the bathroom, which is where they're going next. Unless Marc and Corey beat them to it. Brandon and North were starting in the kitchen when I came up with these three.

"We all have apps on our phones for each other," Kota explains. "On this app, we can track each other's phones and check camera feeds as well. We all have these in our home and make emergency calls."

"Impressive," I murmur. "Do I get these apps?" I ask.

"I was going to ask for your phone once we were done here," Victor says, his fire eyes coming up to meet mine. His fingers fiddle with the camera he has in his hand while Silas puts a bracket in the air vent. "You'll have the same apps as us."

"And I'll be able to do everything you guys can on yours?" I ask, my eyebrow raising with my question.

Victor looks to Kota, who pushes his glasses up his nose, pursing his lips. I drop my head, looking to the floor while giving it a gentle shake. "I won't, will I? I won't get the camera feeds, or the tracking thing on you. But the emergency calls, I'll get that, yes?"

"Sang, it's not personal," Kota murmurs.

"Look, I don't mind these cameras going up, having a tracker on my phone. I'd even wear one of the tags that go on my ankle if you wanted me to. But how is it fair that you can invade my privacy whenever you want, but I can't invade yours?" I ask, quickly adding, "Not that I would. It's rude."

I can feel my anger rising, although I'm not sure why. They can see my point of view in this, right? They want me to trust them, and maybe one day, I will. But how can I do that if they don't trust me in return?

"Maybe you should go and talk to Mr B," Silas says, stepping down from the mini ladder he was standing on. "He's the one that calls the shots."

My spine straightens and my fight starts kicking in. "Okay, I will." If that's who I need to talk to, then so be it.

I turn my feet, squeezing my arm around my middle as I rush for the stairs. My feet carry me down them smoothly, and I start checking rooms as I go by them. Mr Blackbourne and Axel were outside early, but when I went upstairs with Kota, Victor and Silas, they were coming in.

I find him in the dining room, sitting at the table with Raven and Axel. "I want all access on these apps," is how I announce my arrival.

Raven's eyes sparkle with amusement, while Axel smirks at Mr Blackbourne. It's like they've been waiting for me to come and argue this with him. Mr Blackbourne's eyes find mine. He looks tired, really tired. "Excuse me?"

"You knew she wouldn't have agreed to it," Axel murmurs. "Especially when she's agreed to everything else so easily."

I ignore Axel and step into the room. I feel someone behind me and find Dr Green. He looks between us. "What's going on?" he asks.

I narrow my eyes at him before turning back to Mr Blackbourne. "You can't expect me to allow all fourteen of you to have access to my house, to the cameras, and to a tracker on my phone without me having something back in return."

"Ah, I see. None of us agreed to this, Pookie, just so you know," Dr Green says, amusement lacing his voice. "She has a point, Owen."

"I'm not going to invade your privacy, but fair is fair, right?" I pause, my shoulders heaving on a sigh when Mr Blackbourne continues to remain silent. "Say something," I whisper.