Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One
Sang

I sit down on the edge of the bed, the pain in my shoulder easily hitting a ten. I close my eyes, wondering how I'm going to explain this to my dad. Maybe I could avoid him until he leaves for his business trip tomorrow. Most likely, he'll be gone all week.

A knock at the door has my eyes springing open. Dr Green comes inside. "Hey, how are you feeling?"

I give him a soft smile. "I've been better."

He takes a seat at my side. I move over just a little to give him more space. "Well, I'll give you some more pain medicine and a dose of antibiotics, before just checking the wound and changing your dressing."

"Sounds good."

"Do you mind removing the t-shirt?" I look down at the over-sized, dark blue t-shirt. I'm wearing my bra underneath, though it does feel loose on the side of my wounded shoulder. I don't look at him as I start lifting the t-shirt. When I realize I can't do it myself, Dr Green chuckles and starts helping.

Once it's off, he gives me a small dose of morphine and some antibiotics. He changes the dressing, and I keep my head turned away, not wanting to look at the wound. He tells me that it's still looking okay and that he'll come by and check it tomorrow.

The whole time I sit there in the ridiculously bright tracksuit bottoms and my bra that only has one strap. I realise then how comfortable I feel being almost bare in front of him. He keeps it professional, but I can't help but wonder if he's having any unprofessional thoughts.

I think of our almost kiss earlier in the toilets at the mall. It makes my eyes drop to his lips now; pursed with concentration, a light pink and the bottom lip slightly fuller than the top. He has pretty lips, he's also my teacher.

When he's done, he helps me put the t-shirt back on. Taking a seat at my side once more, he says, "I'm going to go to the hospital to get you oral antibiotics. Are you okay with taking tablets?" I jerk my head in a nod. "I'll also get you some more pain pills. You'll need them."

"Dr Green, I need to go home," I tell him.

Dr Green gives me a small smile. "It's been arranged for Raven and Corey to take you home. If it wasn't for your dad exploding your phone up, we would have you stay here."

"My Dad has called?" I ask, something blooming in my chest at the thought.

"He has. Started about six o'clock. It's now half seven in the evening." Wow. I was out of if for a while then. The shooting happened just before two. Today seems to be one of the longest days of my life. "Listen, Sang. After today, it's clear that my getting you out of the mall without notice wasn't a success. Your safety is very important to us while we figure out where to go from here, and we need to know you're willing to agree with us when it comes to keeping you safe."

I look away from him and at the fish tank, watching the fish swim around in a circle. I've never been in danger before, and it doesn't sit well with me. But these guys, they're willing to protect me. How, I'm not sure. But how far will they go?

"Come into the family room. We'll tell you what we have planned for tonight." Dr Green stands and picks up his bag. I follow suit, curling my bad arm around my middle to stop me from using it.

I follow him out of Axel's bedroom and into the family room. I find everyone sitting back on the sofas and the floor. Corey and Victor are sitting in the corner surrounded by laptops and even a printer at their side. Kota, Marc, Nathan, Luke, Mr Blackbourne, and Axel are hunched over paperwork on the coffee table, whispering in hushed voices.