Chapter Forty Nine

Capturing Them
Chapter Forty Nine
Sang

Dad: I won't be home until Monday. Something came up that needs me to stay for a few extra days. I'm sorry.

I stare down at the text for a long heartbeat, not sure how to feel about Dad not coming home until Monday. A part of me is disappointed; I've missed him being around—an emotion that is new to me. But after spending the day with him painting on Sunday, I find myself wanting to be around him.

The other part of me is elated. I get to have the boys staying at my house without sneaking around for a few more days.

I text back a quick reply saying okay and that I'll see him on Monday, before placing my phone on my desk in the spare room.

After my panic attack and chat with Brandon, the security company came and installed the new alarm. When he left, Corey then put sensors on the windows and some around the perimeter of the house. If a window is opened in the house, we all get notified with a text, same as when someone comes up the house from the street or the woods. When I asked Corey if my Dad would know these additional measures are in place, he said no.

After that, I came to the spare room—my camera room—to hide out for a bit. The guys arrived back from school a couple of hours ago and I can hear them all downstairs. Victor and Kota came up and said hello, asked if I was okay, and when I told them I was, they left and said that they will be downstairs.

I've been trying to edit some photos on my laptop, but my thoughts keeps wandering to what Brandon had told me earlier—they were ending things with Kayli. When Brandon had told me, my heart skipped several beats and butterflies had swarmed my stomach.

In all honesty, I just wanted them to be happy. All fourteen of them to just be happy. I don't know Kayli, so I have no right to judge her but...

I just don't know.

Sighing, I close the screen of my laptop and get up from my seat. Going to the door, I pull it open and tiptoe into my room. Axel said to me earlier that I would be able to sleep in here tonight, back in my bed as they finished the last of the attic space this morning. I'm surprised they aren't up here now finishing of the last bits—whatever they are. This whole project of theirs has kind of been kept a secret from me. I'm excited to see what they've done.

Heading for the stairs, I make my way down them. The murmurs of the guys voices lead me to the family room. Walking in, I find them all scattered around the room; sitting on the sofa or on the floor. Even Mr Blackbourne and Dr Green are here.

"This guy here; he's this drug lord's right hand man when it comes to selling to teens, that much we've figured out." Axel says, pointing to a picture of the coffee table. I walk further in the room, gaining the attention of the guys. Axel gives me a smile but doesn't stop talking. "He's also the guy that shot at Sang."

My eyes look around, looking for somewhere to sit. Corey, Raven and Victor sit on the couch. Corey and Victor both move over so that I can sit between them. As I take my seat, I watch as Raven throws his arm onto the back of the couch and Corey shifts closer to him, even though it's not necessary. I'm small and can fit in the gap Victor and Corey made for me.

It makes me smile and Raven looks up in that moment, seeing me watching them. He winks at me and my smile widens. I realize then, that he knows I'm aware that something more is between them.

I'm going to ask them, I decide, but not in front of everyone. I don't want to embarrass any of us if I got it wrong, even though I'm sure I haven't.

"We finally have an ID on our drug lord as well," Axel says, drawing my attention to him. He pulls a photo from a pocket folder and places it on the table. We all sit forward or shuffle to take a better look at it.