Chapter Eighty Six

Chapter Eighty Six
Sang

I stare up at the ceiling of my room. The house is silent. Just a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have minded being here alone. Now I ache to call one of the guys over to come and keep me company. It was agreed that I would be home alone tonight with my father's return just hours away. I held of as late as I could staying at Nathan's but by ten I was dozing off on the couch as Nathan, Kota and Brandon watched some horror movie. Brandon walked me home, holding my hand, and stood on the other side of the door as I locked it.

Now I can't sleep. I feel like I've just woken from a nap, my eyes no longer heavy but instead wide as they stare up at the white ceiling of my darkened bedroom. A slight breeze whistles outside and the house creaks every now and then. I miss them; the low tones of their deep voices, their comforting touches, being wrapped up in their arms listening to their deep even breaths as they fall asleep.

My phone vibrates where it lays on my stomach. I didn't check it right away. I don't want to seem too eager to speak with them though I desperately do. Instead I get out of bed, taking the phone with me as I pick up the zip up jacket that hangs on the door of my closet. It's not mine. The scent tells me that it's Silas'. I pull it on and zip it up, pulling on a pair of fluffy socks before making my way downstairs, sliding my phone into my pocket. I turn lights on as I go, wanting to make the house seem more alive.

In the kitchen I get myself a bottle of water from the fridge. I break the seal and then take slow sips, staring at the ticking clock on the wall. It's just past eleven. Dad should be here soon. I pull my phone from my pocket, reading the message.

Nathan: I can come over and keep you company. Don't feel like you have to be alone if you don't want to be.
Sang: Yes please.
Nathan: Back door.

My shoulders sag. I hadn't realised how tense I was. Not because my father is coming home, but because of how alone I had felt. I slip the phone back into the pocket of the zip up jacket, put the lid back on the bottle of water and go to the back door. Unlocking it, I open it and go outside, leaving the door open a jar before walking across the porch and sitting down on the steps.

I pull my knees up, wrapping my arms around them. It's not cold, but the temperature is slowly dropping at night. Stars are twinkling in the sky and I try to find the brightest one. I spot it just as I hear footsteps padding on the grass. Looking down, I find Nathan coming towards me, appearing out of the trees. "Hey."

"Hey yourself," he says back. Dressed in a pair of basketball shorts and a T-shirt, the flip flops on his feet are certainly not for walking through the woods, he sits down beside me.

"How did you know?" I ask.

"North. He just wanted to check on you and saw you were awake. He wanted to come himself but that then caused an uproar amongst some of us so we rolled dice and the two people with the highest score rock, paper, scissored. I won."

A small laugh escapes me. "Children, the lot of you."

"It works," he says, holding his hand out. I look down at it for a moment before smiling and sliding my hand into his. "You only had to ask and one of us would have come over."

"I know but how would I choose?" I grin over at him. "If I texted one, but not the other..."

"We understand. Please don't think we don't. But we also know that sometimes, you'll be drawn to one or two of us over certain things. Yes, any of us could have come to keep you company but if it was something else and Kota or Axel were more suitable for you in that moment of need, then text, call or talk to them. It doesn't make us think any less of you."